Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlwaysHopeful

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Hi Guys,

I am desperate to get some HD AVCHD footage off my new(ish) camcorder on to my iMac.

Neither iMovie nor iMove 6HD can transcribe AVCHD so I recently bought Final Cut Express 4.0.

This package at least accesses the movies on the HDD on the camcorder, but when I use the Log and Transfer or Capture facilities Final Cut lets me select a clip but when it tries to transfer it the application just crashes.

Am I doing something wrong or is Final Cut incomplete for handling AVCHD, or is it support for my Sony that is the problem.

Any help gratefully received.

If I had any hair left I'd be pulling it out by now!!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Hi Guys,

I am desperate to get some HD AVCHD footage off my new(ish) camcorder on to my iMac.

Neither iMovie nor iMove 6HD can transcribe AVCHD so I recently bought Final Cut Express 4.0.

This package at least accesses the movies on the HDD on the camcorder, but when I use the Log and Transfer or Capture facilities Final Cut lets me select a clip but when it tries to transfer it the application just crashes.

Am I doing something wrong or is Final Cut incomplete for handling AVCHD, or is it support for my Sony that is the problem.

Any help gratefully received.

If I had any hair left I'd be pulling it out by now!!

I remember reading something somewhere that if you had any mixed mode stuff on the Sony AVCHD stuff (like HD footage and photographs) then it messes up the downloads.

Also, iMovie08 has the same ability to import and convert AVCHD as Final Cut Express 4 - if I recall correctly.

The issue you are describing has to do with the Sony, if my memory serves.
-Allen

AlwaysHopeful

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the help, I deleted the one photo on the camcorder and tried again - but still got the core dump :-(

Any one actually had some success with this combo?

Thanks.

acto

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
re Final Cut Express and Sony SR7E AVCHD Camorder

I had problems importing the files ,
try this apple site http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2134 .
Final Cut Express: Ingesting AVCHD clips may not work from the Log and Transfer window "

This worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.