Final Cut Express Big Problem! Please help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by coryokeefe, Jan 7, 2009.

1. coryokeefe macrumors newbie

So i am editing some wedding videos in final cut express. My Scratch disk is a 1TB My Book. I edited a video and saved it fine. When i click to open it, the brower shows all my clips but the timeline is gone and is greyed out under the windows panel. It wont let me open it at all. I went and opened a new project and the timeline comes up, but its a blank timeline not the one with the edited clips i was working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also a few other movie projects i saved when i click to open it just says unable to open project. I was working on something, saved it and tried to reopen it and it gave me this message... no idea what to do.

Need some serious help. Thanks so much guys!

Cory

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Problem #1: Double click on your Sequence in the Browser window and it will open up the timeline.

Problem #2: Not sure. Are the projects you can't open from a previous version of FCE?

Lethal

3. coryokeefe thread starter macrumors newbie

first problem solved! Thanks so much

Secound problem:

No they were with this same one. its super weird cause it says like zero KB on disk and says unable to open project but i saved it and everything...

4. coryokeefe thread starter macrumors newbie

Serious Help

so i was editing a project in final cut express and the scratch disk is my 1TB my book hard drive. I opened it and was working for about a day straight on it, i saved a bunch of times and then i left it open and came back to it the following day, when i opened it up the clips had red x through them and said coudlnt find media. So i closed final cut and reopened it and it was back to where it was when i started the first of january.

I dont get it. what happened i saved so many times, how can it just NOT save? Im gonna go crazy

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Now that you can get the project open ( even though it's older ), what happens when you do: File->Restore Project ?

You should have multiple autosave points in time to choose from. The most recent one may be corrupt though.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It might be a problem w/your MyBook. If it goes to sleep and doesn't wake up, or doesn't wake up fast enough, when you launch FCE your file s will show up as off-line.

Lethal

7. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

project file location??? AutoSave Vault???

Where are you saving your project file to? the external HD? or on your primary drive?

Does FCE have an AutoSave Vault? Someplace else it automatically saves the project file every 10 minutes or so (whatever you set in preferences). Possibly the save location has changed or the main file has been moved by accident. Try to locate the AutoSave vault there should be periodic copies of the project.

I read the Final Cut likes (but doesn't require) the project file to be on your main drive and everything else on a secondary HD. This way your OS has handy the info it needs to coordinaste the footage on your secondary drive.

8. coryokeefe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what it did and then i closed and reopend and it was back to 3 weeks ago. I had a few other videos saved on this mybook and then i saved and closed then and when i tried to re open it said No info found. And shows 0KB on my disk space. its super weird. When i go file restore project it says there is nothing saved in autosave vault.... really weird

9. coryokeefe thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya it has to be something with my changing the scratch drive. I dont have tons of room on my HD so how would i set it up so i can put the base stuff on here and then the rest on my external so this doesnt happen again?