Final Cut Express can do MP4, Pro can't?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lgtw, Aug 10, 2011.

1. lgtw macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I've been using Final Cut Express for about 9 months now, and I do daily videos, taken from a Flip Ultra, which as lots of us know, records in H.264 MP4 format. I even take my AVCHD files down to MP4. I recently upgraded to Final Cut Pro, and it doesn't even take those files as well as Final Cut Express does. Express works like a charm with MP4, but Pro doesn't? Pro was working with MP4 for about 3 days before I got the 'General Error' and exiting of the timeline when I dragged the clips into the timeline.

I've been wondering, how does Final Cut Pro work with MP4 so horribly, but Final Cut Express does it so smooth and flawless? I'm not really up for any converters, as I often do this right before I go to bed, you know, a simple 10 minute process for about 15 minutes of video a day, that would take forever to convert.

I often match the sequence presets to the MP4 in Final Cut Pro 7.0.4.
    Final Cut Express 4.0.4 is set to "Apple Intermediate 1080i 50p" it works like a charm.

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The FCE workflow you describe does transcode to AIC. Try doing the same in FCP using ProRes 1080i as a preset. You shouldn't need any converters - FCP should do the lot.

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

MP4 is not an editable format. It's a video container. MP4's shouldn't be edited but converted into something like AIC or ProRes.