Final Cut Express capturing as AVI

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by heyday, Aug 6, 2008.

1. heyday macrumors newbie

Hi

I was wondering if it's possible to set up FCE 4 to capture DV in AVI format. This would then save me having to re-export the movie from QuickTime to .avi!

Thanks in advance

D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nope. All Apples apps are based on QT.

Lethal

3. guitarisation macrumors newbie

Hello all, first post, great forum

It's annoying FCE only captures DV in QT, especially as my in-laws use Premiere and ask me for DVDs of my DVs - I use FCE to capture then I have to convert to AVI...

FWIW, they tell me Premiere has the same limitation ie it only imports in AVI

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

if your making a DVD does it matter what you captured on?

5. guitarisation macrumors newbie

we're only using a DVD to transfer the files, a flash drive could also be used

My brother-in-law wanted the footage but I wanted to keep the DV

I use FCE, he uses Premiere

So I captured in FCE which forced me to encode in QT - then we had to convert to AVI

Big waste of time...

6. heyday thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

I find the decision by Apple to force you to capture in QT really quite pathetic. It doesn't make me want to use QT more. It simply wastes more of my time as I then have to output the video in another format.

It (mildly)irritates me that Apple believe they can hook me into their formats by doing this. If anything for me it may have the opposite effect!

If I pay for software I would like to be able to choose which format I capture in and not have Apple dictate this. Perhaps they could leave this type of feature for their free software like iMovie.

I don't belong to any group that state one platform is better than another...for me there are far better things in life to focus on.

I would love to use a video editing tool that doesn't belong to some childish Mac/PC bull.

Does anyone know if Premiere CS3 for Mac allows you to choose the format for capture.

Thanks in advance

D

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

:rolleyes:
    The reasons aren't to "hook" you into anything but to better provide an optimized and smoother working application. FCP uses QT, Avid uses MXF (or OMF on older systems), and if you have some Matrox capture hardware for the PC your files will be AVIs. It's not an evil conspiracy it's just a matter of pragmatism. Nice ignorant rant, though.

Lethal

8. guitarisation macrumors newbie

I so totally do share HeyDay's frustration

• capture 2 hours of DV = 2 hours
    • convert those 2 hours from QT to AVI = 3 hours, thank you Apple & FCE!

However, AFAIK Premiere has the same problem, it forces you to capture in AVI...

I haven't used Premiere so please correct me if I'm mistaken

9. heyday thread starter macrumors newbie

But surely that 'optimized and smoother working application' would be best determined by the needs of the Editor?

I didn't mean for my post to appear as a rant and I certainly fail to see ignorance being a theme....this is simply a genuine need that's failed to be addressed certainly by FCE, and maybe by other company's software also.

The question still remains:

Does anyone know if Premiere CS3 for Mac allows you to choose the format for capture?

D

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Having an application that is fast, stable, and powerful is generally the desire of every editor. Since QT isn't just a wrapper and a player but also provides the underlying video and audio framework for OS X it makes sense, at least IMO, that Apple's software engineers would leverage QT to the best of their abilities when making video and audio editing programs. Apple's goal, as well as Adobe's goal, and Avid's goal, and Discreet's goal, and Vega Pro's goal is to make the best software they can for their demographic. Making their software play nice w/the competition is not surprisingly low on their to-do list.;) Shouldn't your rant cover everyone that makes editing software since cross-program/platform codec incompatibility isn't limited to Apple's products. I mean, you are complaining about FCE not capturing as AVI but what about PPro not accepting MOV?

As much as it would make my life significantly easier if there was a universal codec that all hardware and software used natively that's just a pipe dream given the different philosophies the various companies have of how to best build an editing application. While I can sympathize w/your situation, there are millions of people using editing software and there is no way for a single product, or a single company, to meet the specific needs of every end user.

Lethal

11. heyday thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your time in presenting your own point of view....however, I fail to see how asking to capture in a format outside of QT would be so problematic.

If Apple's strategy was dependent on the success of QT then they may as well throw the towel in now!

Anything that saves one spending unnecessary time in front of a computer has to be a good move....a good move for your eyes, your back, your electricity bill, the environment etc., etc., etc.......

The question is based on capture formats. Apple have added the facility to export to AVI but not to capture as. Guitarisation has already added comments on how wasteful it is in his/her workflow.

I can't help but think you're comments are based on defending a corporate stance when there's no real case.

If Apple couldn't learn to compete then they wouldn't be producing the stunning hardware that they produce today. If a competitor developed software that allowed you to capture in several formats and Apple noticed that product negatively affecting the market share of FCE, I'm sure we would see lot's of improvements to FCE in a very short space of time. What stance would you take then? Would you be criticising Apple's move saying that QT will lose market share!

In the context of improving software for the benefit of 'paying customers'...you're either part of the problem or part of the solution.

Spending time discussing this can only be beneficial for FCE and for consumers that pay for the software. Using the term 'rant' has negative connotations that just really don't fit this thread. If you enjoy trying to tell 'ranters' what to do then there may be forums more suited to that. In the meantime my concerns lead back to the question....

Does anyone know if Premier CS3 for Mac allows you to capture in formats outside of QT.

D

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

That has nothing to do with it, it isn't about success of a format. QT is part of the OS X architecture and therefore it makes absolute sense for FCE (and FCP) to capture using it. It's the most efficient way for Apple to write the program.

May I ask why you so desperately need to have your footage captured as AVI? And if it's such a big deal, why didn't you go with another NLE?

13. heyday thread starter macrumors newbie

This could be the case, but it certainly doesn't stop them developing features that would allow the editor to decide what format to Capture in. As previously mentioned, they could leave the locked capture format to the free software, namely iMovie.

Discussing why, I believe would dilute this thread more than I would like it to be :) I am considering using Premiere CS3 for Mac. Whilst I appreciate that FCE is £129 / US$260 and Premiere is much more expensive, it maybe that Premiere offers solutions that are more suited to my needs.

By profession I'm a Flash/Flex developer and I bought FCE 4 for handling a lot of digital video that I use. I would love to say that FCE 4 was the perfect solution for my needs but at present I can't. Creating FLVs in FCE 4 seems to be in almost alpha release state and I find there are other less than perfect things that are beyond the scope of this thread.

Are there any Premiere CS3 users for Mac that know if it locks you into a particular capture format? Maybe I should ask this on an Adobe forum? It maybe a good move by Adobe to re-enter the Mac editing market...this way Apple will be kept on their toes and subsequently consumers will get a better product (whether LethalWolfe wants it or not ;) ).

D

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And there in lies the problem.

All the CS3 can be downloaded from Adobe's site and used free for 30 days.

Lethal

15. heyday thread starter macrumors newbie

If you were an software engineer for Apple then I would feel your points of view would carry ample credence. Given your job title, offering technical points of view in such areas falls short of anything that's useful for what at least two people in this thread have thought would be an improvement in FCE.

My question wasn't 'Does anyone know if I can download CS3 software from Adobe's website and use it free for 30 days!'

Let's leave this matter here as I feel that your personal loyalty to Apple is interfering with the subject matter. I will find alternative ways of resolving this.

Thanks for your interest and points of view.

D

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I may not be a software engineer for Apple but I do attempt to understand how the program works "under the hood" and why it works the way it does because part of my job is providing production technology support and creating workflow solutions for about a dozen editors mixing and matching a variety of SD and HD formats w/final products typically destined for the web or TV. We are also building our own finishing and sound mixing bays and will soon start leaning heavily on weaker aspects of FCP (media management and 'round-tripping' projects w/in the FCS suite) which will cause much finger crossing and knocking on wood in the office.

Your assumption about my loyalty towards Apple is amusing as well considering you've made no effort to find out what my opinions towards Apple are. I think I'm noticing a pattern...:p $20 says I have more gripes about Apple's Pro Apps than you do and those gripes interfere w/my ability to effectively to do my job so another $20 says my gripes impact my life a heck of a lot more than your gripes impact yours.

Legit criticism of any product or company is fine, but ignorant (Ignorant: lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular) rants just rub me the wrong way in general.
    No one has answered the Q you did ask so I was just suggesting a way for you to find out the answer for yourself.

You mean like downloading PPro and testing it yourself?

Lethal

17. heyday thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there not a clear overlap here? :D

Using the term 'under the hood' with regards to software development is perhaps driving your limitations on what I and others see as improving this software. I don't want to split hairs on semantics, but software development is a far more intellectual subject than that term could even begin to permit!

Apologies if I'm wrong here. I meet a lot of people in my line of work that have a blind loyalty towards this corporation. These people jump at defending the big corporate from the slightest of criticism however just it may be. I started to see your replies consistent with that.

In the context of editing it would seem you're absolutely right.

What I addressed should not be seen as ignorant ranting and perhaps the reason why this thread has ended up many times longer than necessary is based on you being too sensitive in your definition of a rant and me wanting to press the point of a legitimate concern.

I would prefer to end this thread here as I'm sure we both have far greater things in the world to deal with.

Good luck in your job and also your exploration of whatever is under the bonnet! ;)

Long live :apple:

;)

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While not super computers, there is still a lot of hardware and software technology 'under the hood' of cars these days. I took some very basic programming classes many years ago and as much as I enjoyed it it wasn't long before I realized I had no future as a code monkey. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm typically willing to give software companies the benefit of the doubt because I know even a trivial sounding feature request can sometimes be a nightmare to implement.

AFAIK FCP hasn't had a from-the-ground-up rewrite since Apple purchased the software from Macromedia so it's still fundamentally based on code that's around 10yrs old. Hopefully when the rewrite does occur many of the problems FCP users have been dealing w/for years will be addressed and we'll have a brand spakin' new suite of software that faster, more reliable, and more flexible than ever.

Hopefully... ;)

I won't argue w/that.:)

19. nanahuatzin macrumors newbie

iMovie and windows..

i am not shure if this would help you... but

I you capture using iMovie... you can copy the files to windows and add the extention .DV (digital video ).

Most video editors (at least sony vegas, and media studio) will read the files withouth problems.

When you capture from firewire, the data would come as as DV format. which is then put into an avi or quicktime file... without really modifing...

but for some reason unknow to me. Imovie is one of the few programas that saves directly to DV format... which means is neither avi or quicktime.

Still it can be played in WMP an used in serveral video editor programs.

I discover it by accident.. :D

20. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    yeah I was wondering this too. If you import a video into iMovie and you do the right-click "show package contents," it is a .dv file. And on a helpful note, if you import HD footage into iMovie and want to convert it to non-hd, you can start a new DV Widescreen (non-hd) iMovie project and drag and drop in there and it will convert to a smaller file.

At least I believe all this to be true, anyone else want to verify?

When I was only had my Sony HC1, I used iMovie only really. Now that I have a Canon XH-A1, I hope to finally start using the FCE I purchased in March 2007 which has just been sitting on my comp.