Final Cut Express crash course

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alphacrust, Sep 24, 2010.

1. alphacrust macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm currently having to give myself a 24hr crash course in FCE.
    (if anybody knows any good tutorials - suggestions would be appreciated!) :)

One of the things I'm up against at the moment is the process of creating a sub-clip.

I was half expecting to:

1. import video into the bin.
    2. Double click the footage to transfer it into the play head
    3. Set in and out points with the I/O markers under the play head
    4. Click on the actual video and drag it back to the bin to create a sub-clip

When I drag the video back into the bin all I appear to get is another copy of the original master clip. No recognition of the in and out points. :-/ Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks,

Paul.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Subclip: Command+U found via Help Menu item.
    [​IMG]

Btw, have you taken a look at the manual yet?

Attached Files:

3. alphacrust thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, point taken... looking in the help section would have been a good starting place. :)

So what am I doing if I drag the clip back to the bin then ? Notice if it's dragged to the timeline I get the desired effect, just don't get the copy in the bin. :-/

Cheers,

Paul.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I know it might sound obvious, but the FCE manual is really well done. Take the time to read it, it helped me a lot.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Although it may sound like the same step, a subclip is different than what you drag to the timeline. I use Avid Media Composer and I have to hold down the Option/alt key to create a subclip or subsequence, but I can just drag the selected portion into the timeline, but that is due to that being not a subclip.

6. alphacrust thread starter macrumors newbie

I tend to use Edius more than anything, so it's just getting my head around a new way of working. It'll teach me to agree to tutor somebody in a package I don't know. :rolleyes: