Final Cut Express--Cropping videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bluedoggiant, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So here I have this movie file:

[​IMG]

I have another one of the same movie, except in the AVI format. Now theres a long long long story. As you can see, there are black bars on top and on the bottom of the video, which werent there with the AVI format in the beginning, I would like to remove them. Is there such feature in Final Cut Express where I can crop out the top and bottom bars. Then in my video compression application (iSquint) stretch the dimensions to 640x480? The actual video here is 664 x 268.

Pretty much what I am asking, is if I can crop out the black parts using iMovie 09, or iMovie HD, OR even Final Cut express. and what I mean by cropping, is to get the video from its current res 640x480, down to 664 x 268 where the actual video is, then stretch is to 640x480 with the bars.

I know there are other ways around this, but as i said LONG story, it wasnt simple just converting the AVI to MP4 with the 640x480 res. (problems occurred, dont ask lol)

thanks for all the help in advance.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well, you can definitely "crop" it using Final Cut Express (scale it using the Motion tools). However, it will make the image lose its quality (since it's just going to zoom in to get rid of the letterbox).

Also, you can export the movie in whatever size you want using Final Cut Express' Quicktime Conversion.

But like I said, I don't think you can remove the letterbox (the bars) on the original video without losing quality of the image.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

For example

usually when I convert an AVI video file with those same exact dimensions to MP4 with 640x480, it will stretch the video, which I don't mind. Final Cut Express ADDED those blacks bars ITS SELF. They weren't part of the video.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Here, try this in Final Cut Express and see if it works.

1. Import your original video
    2. Now, RIGHT-CLICK on movie and ITEM PROPERTIES
    3. Next, check the box for ANAMORPHIC (as shown in the pictures).

Now do the same for the SEQUENCE 1 item (shown in the pictures).

4. Drag the ORIGINAL video from the browser to the timeline.

5. Export the video using Quicktime Conversion, and go to the OPTIONS.
    6. And change the SIZE under the VIDEO heading and go to custom.

Hope this works, if not, I don't know what else. Maybe someone else can help.

Attached Files:

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

will do my friend :) much thanks.

Now do I have to render this?

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

As you export it using Quicktime Conversion, it will re-encoding the movie and render it for you. No need to do it before you export (I think).

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

much thanks. will try this weekend.

8. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

While I think FSMBP's answer will best accomplish what you're trying to do there is an actual crop tool in FCE.

9. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ehhh, it looked good in the viewer, when published, did so in MPEG-4 at 640x480...but the black bars appeared again:eek: