Final Cut Express dvd won't play on home dvd player

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gibr, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Gibr macrumors newbie

I really need some help! I have a family party tomorrow and a project completed, but I can't get it to play on my home dvd player. I have worked with imovie 08 before, but this is my fist time using Final Cut Express. I've done everything the same as iMovie, but it won't play back. I am pulling my hair out! I have changed the size settings and the NTSC 720 x 480 16:9 will work on my upstairs machine, but not down. (The downstairs one is actually a nicer piece of equipment.) I've never had any trouble with playback when using iMovie. Is there a setting or something I need to change? I've tried everything that I know how to do. I could really use some advice or a new suggestion. Thanks.

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

what are you making the DVDs with? imove & FCP are both editing apps.

3. Gibr thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using iDVD. I've completed a project a number of times from iMovie to iDVD. The problem seems to be from Final Cut Express to iDVD. I can see everything in iDVD and playback in iDVD, I just can't get it to play on either DVD player in my home. I haven't ever had this problem before. I'm wondering if it's my settings.

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

If it plays on one DVD player and not another, try a different brand of blanks. Some players are really picky, and "nicer" doesn't necessarily mean more likely to play. I've had this issue before with certain types of media.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The problem really shouldn't be about using Final Cut or iMovie to edit because iDVD converts those to standard files that DVD players can read.

Like the above post said, try different brands of blank DVDs. And try messing with the quality settings in iDVD. I personally always use 'Professional' but try one until you find one that works.

And if you really want, take your final movie from FCE and open it in iMovie. Then send that to iDVD. (That's incase you're still paranoid that FCE is the culprit).