Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revdarth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hi - I am looking to purchase Final Cut Express as a video editing solution for my new mac (transitioning from Windows). I cannot find the info on the apple site about what export formats are available. It just says, "Project export using any QuickTime file format, including MPEG-4, for distribution via email or the web."

What exactly does that mean - just MOV and MP4?

Thanks

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hi - I am looking to purchase Final Cut Express as a video editing solution for my new mac (transitioning from Windows). I cannot find the info on the apple site about what export formats are available. It just says, "Project export using any QuickTime file format, including MPEG-4, for distribution via email or the web."

What exactly does that mean - just MOV and MP4?

Thanks

It means any Quicktime format which is quite a few. Here is a list.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
FWIW, the QuickTime .MOV file format type is merely a container. Just like the .AVI container for Windows, a .MOV file type designation doesn't really tell you anything other than the enclosed file could be made from a large variety off codecs.

It's much like saying "I drive a car." The statement doesn't tell you what make, model or year of the car or any other details about it. When you ask about a QT .MOV file, it's the same thing.

-DH

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
There are quite a bit for me to list under "QuickTime Conversion" but the main ones that are common are H.264 and MPEG-4. there are a couple others but they are all DV-NTSC, DV-PAL etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.