Final Cut Express Exporting Q's...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ~J~, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

To every video editing miracle worker... I need your help (yes, once again). I have a video created in Final Cut Express HD (FCE), I just tried exporting it to an AVI file... and at 20% completed... its @ 2GB!!!!!! Clearly, this is FAR to large for a 45 min video with mono audio (its a recording of a scientific speech w/audio from a lapel mic, 2 DV cams, and some slides added in). The data from each cam is ~9.5GB for the 45 min. I switch between the 2 cams intermittently, and throw in a few slides here and there. So... with an end result of 45min of video & single channel audio... I need it to be more like 2GB for the WHOLE THING. What export settings do I need to use to accomplish this? These will be distributed on a DVD set (there are 13 segments! - so ideally 3, maybe 4, dual-layer discs), so I need to take that into consideration for exporting.

THANKS GUYS!!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

What are you using to burn to DVD? If you are using iDVD, then you need to export a Quicktime Movie (matching the sequence settings... the file will be very large) and iDVD will compress it into the correct format.

3. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

GREAT! Thanks for the info/help!

4. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok... so when I did that, it made a FC file that iDVD cant read... so now what? I will be using iDVD to author the DVDs, so I need it to be able to read the file. BTW, it came out to 9.64GB for the file size...

5. -DH macrumors 65816

iDVD doesn't work well with AVI files ... I have no idea why you would choose to export that way. Instead, render everything FULL and then export a QuickTime Movie at current settings (do NOT recompress all frames) and then import THAT file into iDVD.

9.64gb sound about right for a self-contained movie. DV footage takes up about 13.3gb per hour.

-DH

6. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

I've rendered everything and did the following process for exporting:

File > Export > Quicktime Movie > Audio & Video > All Markers > *check* Self-Contained

It still creates a Final Cut movie file that cant be imported into iDVD!!! HELP! What am I not doing / doing wrong???

7. bkvideography macrumors member

8. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

What type of file should I be getting out of this?

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Try *un-checking* Make Movie Self Contained and see what happens. What version of iDVD are you using and are you working with Standard Def or High Def media?

Lethal

10. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

Its all standard def (576i), and thats by design, this needs to be standard DVD playable. I am using dual-layer discs tho. I am using iDVD from iLife '08, updated current.

Im trying to figure out tho... iDVD is saying that it will take up 2.5GB on disc... does that sound about right for 45min of video & single channel audio? If so... 13 sessions (45min) @ 2.5GB/ea. + 12 Q&A (15min) @ 830MB/ea. adds up to a grand total of 42.5GB... which translates into a 5 disc set!!

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

576i is PAL. Are you meaning to work in PAL?

Lethal