Final Cut Express Exports- Giant File Sizes in HD for Wedding DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LaryUdienhizer, Oct 10, 2011.

1. LaryUdienhizer macrumors newbie

Hello, I've been using Final Cut Express for quite a while (around six years) and I've never actually run into a problem like this, but now that I have, thought I'd ask some people who may know the answer.

I'm currently in the process of making a wedding video for a portfolio, and I'm having trouble finding the perfect export settings to create:

1) A final export that is in true HD (1920x1080)

2) Is under 7.9GB in the interest in fitting on a DVD+R DL

3) As little interlacing as possible, though this is something I don't fully know everything about. I know my camera (Cannon Vixia HV40) records in the 1080i and thus, it will be interlaced, but I feel like putting it on a DVD (for computer and TV viewing) will get rid of some of this visual junk. However, I'm not sure.

Here's what I'm working with:
    -Final Cut Express v3.5.1
    -Footage recorded as 1080i 60
    -About 30 mins of footage (give or take)
    -8GB DL DVDs (which I don't actually own yet, but I would try to use to complete the project)

My Question:
    What types of processes/exports do I need to go through (in FCE, preferably but I'm open to 3rd party softwares) in order to make a project that is both preserved in the Full HD format, as well as retaining a respectable size of under 8GB (and may not have interlacing).

NOTE: I realize this is extremely ambitious request and probably not fully possible within my small size guidelines. However, if it is, please let me know what I need to do.

If it is not, what type of medium can I save this complete film project in (that won't kill my bank account) in order for the client to view it on their TV or computer? (namely TV).

I've looked into several media storage options and have exported in an array of formats (mostly Apple Intermediate Codec at 1080i, best quality and in the dimensions of 1920x1080 in NTSC. I've tried others, but they're either beautiful and huge, or small and look like garbage), but I've not bought any media storage yet in the interest of being totally sure what I need to do and how to do it before taking the dive.

Thanks! And feel free to ask other questions of my hardware/software if need be.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

DVDs are only SD (720x480 for NTSC), interlaced*, and DVD-spec MPEG-2. So export out of FCE in the best quality you can then use something like Toast or iDVD to take your big file and compress it down and burn the DVD. Also, a half-hour of footage will easily fit on a single layer DVD. People watch interlaced content all the time on HDTVs w/o a problem so don't worry about that any DVD player software should handle interlacing fine as well unless it's poorly made.

Lethal

*DVDs can be progressive but the process of cleanly going down from 1080i60 down to 24p or 30p is going to more trouble than it's worth, IMO, and might lead to poor results because you didn't shoot specifically for 24p or 30p.

3. LaryUdienhizer, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

LaryUdienhizer thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

P.S. I'm thinking it will probably be 30p, I didn't shoot in 24p native, though I think I will have to start because progressive scan is truly much better...