Final Cut Express Exports

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mgporman03, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mgporman03 macrumors newbie

I am working on a commercial and doing a export from Final Cut express. The original file I started with was a 720 mov file.

When i export, at around 10 to 15 seconds you will see the gradients in the valve that are moving is not ver smooth. I have tried all the export styles possible.

http://www.stimulent.com/30-Second-Commercial-1a-cut.mov

Any thoughts ?

2. gameface macrumors 6502

720 is not a codec, data rate or anything but part of a frame size. We can tell you what the problem is but we need to know what your settings are to help fix it.

3. mgporman03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Gameface! I am trying several things.

1) Export --> Quicktime and it just defaults with no options

2) Export --> Using Quicktime Conversion --> then I am choosing H.264 with Compressor set at Best Option.

I am sure it is something simple I am missing. Once again thanks for the help

4. gameface macrumors 6502

Try a quicktime conversion to AIC best. I'm not sure of your selection choices in FCE as I use FCP but there has to be something better. Also, if you want to try H.264, then instead of doing best, try to use the restrict to and put data rate instead. Try something like 5000 kbits/sec

5. mgporman03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still giving the same effect

I tried both those exports and nothing. FYI i am doing this on a MBP if you think the video card may not support it ?

Mark

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

How is the video getting into FCE i.e. what format?

7. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

I was having trouble exporting from FCE last week and what helped me were these directions i found on youtube for exporting HD:

QuickTime Pro: File > Export > Export: Movie to QuickTime Movie > Options

From Options:

In the Video section select the following:
    Compression Type: H264
    Frame Rate: 30
    Data Rate: Automatic
    (if you choose to restrict the Data Rate, make sure to choose the highest value acceptable to you — more bits means better quality)
    Key Frames: Automatic
    Frame Reording: Unchecked

In the Video section click Size and set Dimensions to the original size of your video (Note: HD resolutions - 1280x720 or 1920x1080 - preferred).

Select Prepare for internet Streaming and choose Fast Start from the drop-down menu.

In the Audio section, make sure that the audio codec is AAC. Always use AAC as the preferred audio codec.

Once you've made all of these selections, click the OK button to save your preferences.

Add a title to the video file and click the Save button to save your edited version of your movie.

8. gonzorwell macrumors newbie

AVCHD to Final Cut Express

I couldn't figure out how to make a post so I just replied to this post as I feel there may be a relation.

When I transfer AVCHD data from my Canon HG10 to Final Cut Express thin almost transparent horizontal lines appear. Also the resolution is no where near as clear as it is when I hook up the camera to my T.V.

Please help.

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Should be a new thread.
    1. Are you using Log and Transfer
    2. Are you viewing it at 100% in the canvas

10. gonzorwell macrumors newbie

I don't know how to start a new thread. I tried to figure it out for a while.

1) Yes, L&T.

2) Sometimes. Sometimes I accidently zoom in on the canvas when I'm trying to zoom in on the timeline.

11. WestSt macrumors member

Whats the format (720i. 720p for example)? What will be your output format?

The horizontal lines might be interlacing artifacts (the "i" in 720i). If you are planning on viewing your finished movie on tv/making a dvd, you shouldnt worry - the lines will disappear cause tv/dvd is made for interlaced material. But they will show as you are working in FCE. You have the option to de-interlace, but you will loose resolution doing that.

Google "interlaced vs progressive scan" and youll learn all about it.

12. gonzorwell macrumors newbie

WestST - Thank you for your reply.

I am shooting in 1080i. The output will be a quicktime MOV file, which will be posted on youtube.