Final Cut Express HD not working w/ Sony TRV-480

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jburrows500, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

Wondering if anyone else in here has run across this issue before... I am using a Sony TRV-480 camcorder's pass through function (av-dv) to import a home movie. It seems my new copy of final cut express wont work with my av to dv pass through camera. I called tech support and they suggested I use iMovie to upload the movie then export it to a quick time movie. then import it into final cut express... This sounds like a lot of work... Has anyone in here had any luck with resolving this issue? Thanks.. or.. how is iMovie.. I have 30 other tapes to go.

2. u26055 macrumors newbie

I hope you get an answer. This is why I'm thinking of making the switch, to do exactly what you are trying to do. If it's not going to work I would really like to know before I make the jump.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I have the same camcorder and I do this often in Final Cut Pro.

Do you have it set for "Non-controllable device"? Make sure Final Cut has no control over the camcorder, so all you do is press play on your video source as it plays through the camcorder and press import in FCP so it can start capturing.

Final Cut is looking for Timecode and you are doing pass through, so there is no timecode to work with.

4. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

If this is the case I'll be very happy... I'll let you know in an hour or so. Thanks!

5. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

That was the ticket! Thanks very much!

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Don't mean to bump threads, but I wanted to add that this helped me. But more specific directions are to:

Go to Final Cut Express Easy Setup
    Select Use: DV-NTSC DV Converter (for the US anyway)