Final Cut Express HD...upgrade anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wattage, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. wattage macrumors 6502


    Oct 14, 2005
    I am really itching to get FCE HD 3.5. Anyone have good reason to think a newer version is due soon?? I am not sure when it was last updated.

    Any ideas or advice appreciated.
  2. kjwebb macrumors regular

    May 19, 2003
    The last update was last May. I wouldn't think we would see a new version until the next update of FCP.
  3. -DH macrumors 65816

    Nov 28, 2006
    Nashville Tennessee
    FCP upgrades are typically announced right before or during NAB in April. FCE upgrades usually follow shortly after.

  4. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502


    Oct 14, 2005
    Thanks for the cycle input...can't decide if I can wait or not.
  5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 2, 2005
    They usually have an upgrade program, if you need the editing now for a project or something. get it. It helped me soo much.
  6. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Upgrade price was been $99. So the worst case is you buy now and then later in mid 2007 spen $99 to upgrade. My guess is that FCE will get an upgerade after Leopard and will take advanage of some leopard features. Notice the promo right now on the Apple web site -- Buy a Mac and get FCE for $100. Worth it if you need a new mac.

    Or do what I did. Find an old copy of Final Cut, buy that for like $40 and then buy the $99 upgrade to the current version from Apple. Totally legal and above board to go that route.

    Bottom line is if you need to edit now, get it now. If you don't need to edit then it is a waste of money no matter when you buy it.
  7. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502


    Oct 14, 2005
    It is more of a want really. But, I do have 4 or 5 'events' taped just sitting there waiting to be editted and burned for our family to enjoy. My wife and I work at different cities/states every 3 months. So when in SF bay area, we taped Napa Valley, Monterey Bay Aquarium, & Alcatraz etc. I would like to make the most of these and use more than iMovie ya know.

    These projects take so much time that I have been putting them off and now have quite a few to do. I will check EBay and limit my bid to say half price. Meantime, am considereing using my ProCare 1-on-1 time to learn FCE.
  8. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Awesome, I've been hoping Apple would bring that deal back. $99 with a Mac is great. I have been planning on getting a 24" iMac. My luck, that deal expires right before Leopard comes out. I was hoping for a preinstal to save the $129. But if it doesn't I'll go with the iMac and FCE combo for the $200 savings and still save $70 by getting Leopard after.
  9. aafuss1 macrumors 68000


    May 5, 2002
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Wouldn't mind seeing support AVCHD devices (eg. Sony HDR-UX1) in the next version of FCE/FCP.

Share This Page