Final Cut Express Insert Edit Driving me MAD!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrManwelo, Oct 13, 2010.

1. MrManwelo macrumors member

Hello,

I have recently started learning to how to use FCE. I've got quite far with my first project and am at the point where I want to move some clips around the timeline. I do want to move clips inbetween other clips, rearranging their order, not deleting them. But whenever I drag a clip to fit splice in between two other clips, it just deletes whats underneath. How do I stop this happening!?!

This must be a really simple thing that I am completely missing.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Take a look at FCE > Menu Bar > Help > FCE Manual > page 355 (Doing Simple Insert and Overwrite Edits in the Timeline):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply and effort spinnerlys, but it just doesn't want to work. I've already read that page and done a whole lot of googling.

If I drag a video from the browser to splice into the timeline then it's fine. There's two arrows, a right one representing the insert edit and a little lower sits the overwrite edit area.

The problem is, I want to drag clips that are already in my timeline to insert edit between other clips. When I try to do this there is no right pointing arrow, only an arrow that points down representing the overwrite edit. If i hover over the upper third or the lower two thirds it's always the overwrite arrow.

Why is this and how can i insert edit instead? :confused:

4. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

can anyone help me with this, I'm stuck until i can find a fix...

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Select the clip you want to move, drag it, press and hold down the Option/Alt key and release the clip where you want if the icon changes to an arrow pointing to the right.

Did that help?

6. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

bah im such an idiot. it even says that in your post and in the manual. my brain blocked that one out, huh?

but thanks so much, truly!

:D:D

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I haven't seen that bit too though. I just tried it with FCP.