Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimTV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Hi

I had a dodgy copy of Final Cut Pro 5.1, which didn't work well and I removed it.
So I bought a copy of Final Cut Express and tried installing it.
Install seemed fine, but it won't open!

Any clue to what's wrong ?

I tried deleting preferences, but it didn't work.

Cheers

James.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Why don't you contact Apple about getting a replacement for your Final Cut Pro 5.1 discs if they don't work?

For FCE have your tried installing any available software updates? I think in an older version of FCE if you didn't have a video source plugged into your computer it wouldn't launch but my memory on that is foggy. A software update afterwards fixed that.

Also what kind of machine are you working on. I seem to vaguely recall some version of Final Cut not working with AGP video cards... maybe.

jimTV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

Final Cut Pro wasn't "legal". Downloaded off the net !! So no disks.

I have a pretty new iMac and the latest version of FCE, bought from the Mac Store.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Thanks for the reply.

Final Cut Pro wasn't "legal". Downloaded off the net !! So no disks.

I have a pretty new iMac and the latest version of FCE, bought from the Mac Store.

You can just say it wasn't legal. No need to pretend it's semi-legal by putting quotes around it.

What is a "pretty new iMac"? Everybody has varying opinions about what's new. It'd be nice to know the specs to help with the troubleshooting. My guess would be the video card isn't supported or a patch is needed to be applied.

Of course your illegal copy of Final Cut Pro may be screwing it up but if that's the case... meh.

jimTV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
LOL. I was trying to be funny about the "legal" thing, sorry. ;)

My iMac is a 20 inch Dual Core Intel one. Does that help ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.