Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
When capturing from a Mini DV tape in FCE4, the audio syncs ok at first. When creating subclips from the master, the audio sync goes off by 2 seconds and corrupts the master clip as well. These are originally VHS tapes converted to DV tape, by the camcorder.

I've always used the 12 bit audio setting in the camcorder for all my Mini DV tapes and hope this is not an issue. This was not a problem for me in Imovie6.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Also

I tried again, this time stopping and starting the capture in order to separate the 7 minute clip into 3 sequences. This seemed to work, but I'm not sure why. I am using 32khz, btw.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The initial project was set for 48K and I changed the "Easy Setup" to 32K before capturing. The old timeline may have remained at 48K, and could explain the problem.

When creating a new project, the old timeline remains from before? How do you start fresh?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The initial project was set for 48K and I changed the "Easy Setup" to 32K before capturing. The old timeline may have remained at 48K, and could explain the problem.

When creating a new project, the old timeline remains from before? How do you start fresh?

The timeline would indeed remain 48kHz, as it was created during the 48kHz settings. You can delete the Sequence from your bin and create a new one (right-click in the bin and choose New Sequence, at least that's how it is in FCP). Do this after changing to the 32kHz Easy Setup, of course.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I see; delete the timeline before applying the changed settings. Thanks very much for the info, as I couldn't find this anywhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.