Final cut express on MBA

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by roslee7, Mar 26, 2010.

1. roslee7 macrumors regular

anyone using final cut express ver 3.5 or 4 on their macbook air first generation? i use that on my MBA and everything seems allright except takes damn bloody long for exporting to quicktime HD and rendering too.

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think you'll find that what ever machine you are on it takes an age to export.

A 20 minute 1080p HD film recently took over 7 hours to export to a 720p YouTube video on my 2.66Ghz Nahelem Mac Pro!

As long as you can work in real time in the edit the export times shouldn't really matter as you can leave it over night!

3. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

i really appreciate your info. so its normal ya to take damn long hrs for export? I think i will do some research whereby i will export 5 mins video in HD and export by using my MBA and ask my friend who using macbook. Compare the time to export.

4. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

A 6 min to export H.264 1080p at 6000KBs on a 13" macbook pro was only 4 hours :) Just have an external fan plugged in while u sleep :)

5. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

last night i did some test. export a 12 mins video and already 8 hrs duration and only 23 percent. its damn long. i am not sure if its normal. so i decided to quit. Btw, can i export the files that i edit in final cut pro and export using imovie9? I did my video editing in imovie 9 with safe configuration gor export in HD but not that long hrs.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

that's normal for an under-powered laptop with a slow-as-molasses internal drive and USB-only connectivity... everything about the MBA is the exact opposite of what you want for editing video.

7. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks bro. i remembered when i used my previous white macbook and its not that slow. i have no problem exporting this but using MBA is really really damn slow. imagine a 10 mins movie HD, maybe takes about 18 hrs to export i i guess

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Wow! I thought my Mac Pro was slow but now I realise the benefits of the workstation components. Not trying to make you feel bad but it helps me realise that I made the right choice with my Nahalem beast!