Final Cut Express on the UK apple store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plek, Aug 8, 2009.

1. plek macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new computer for my course as my old Dell laptop bit the dust. Currently considering the iMacs on the online store, because we use macs at my college.

The only thing that's puzzling me is the price discrepancy between FCE4.
    Here it's only £54.05 as a standalone item (with education discount) - http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_77705/product/MB278Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MjE0OTM1MQ
    However, if you include it as a pre-installed extra on the iMac configuration page, it's £110.40!

Is there a small detail that I've missed here? Are they not the exact same versions? They both state that they're Final Cut Express 4.

Sorry for all the questions, but I also have a final one. My course doesn't start again until the end of September, and I know Snow Leopard is supposed to come out that month. Would it be worth waiting until then, before making a purchase?

Cheers! :)

2. ag55 macrumors regular

I think they are exactly the same, maybe Apple is charging that huge premium for installing it for you?

Here is what it said:

About pre-installation
    Apple will install this software on your new Mac, so you can use it immediately. You’ll receive backup DVDs that include the application installer and content files, as well as an electronic version (PDF) of the User Guide and other important files.

I know what i would do... Buy it pre-installed

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would buy it as a standalone item. You get the nice box and save 60£. I would buy the iMac now as well. Snow Leopard won't pre-installed immediately, it takes time to clear the stock.

4. ag55 macrumors regular

Yeah i was kidding, save yourself £60 and get the nice packaging included.