Final Cut Express online tutorials?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jack06, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jack06 macrumors member

Hi Guys
    I'm currently looking to get into the world of professional video editing and have got myself a macbook pro and final cut express, although I found the in-built tutorial within FCE useful it doesn't get into enough of the nitty gritty.
    I'm familiar with Lynda.com, and was keen on getting the premium membership with the exercise files. However I can't really justify the price against the fact I won't be taking full advantage of the range of programs Lynda caters for.
    Are there any learning programs or online tutorials out there (no books, I learn from watching and doing) that are specifically for final cut express?
    Thanks in advance
    Jack

2. jla930 macrumors member

For online tutorials, have you tried Apple's own tutorials?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/tutorials/

Or this one:

http://www.izzyvideo.com/learn-final-cut-express/

Even though you said you're not interested in books, I feel compelled to recommend one:

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 by Diana Weynand

This book IS a tutorial. It comes with lessons on a disc, and you truly learn by reading AND doing. You load the disc lessons into your FCE application, and the book explains how to do things in those projects while you actually do them in FCE. If you decide to get it, be sure to check out the appendix lessons for advanced FCE features. I used this book to teach myself FCE at the suggestion of others who also found this book invaluable.

3. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Hi there
    Thanks for the reply,
    I have looked at the apple tutorials but they're not 'in-depth' enough for me, I do own the book you mentioned, however it was given to me by my auntie and I don't remember a disc being included, I might hunt around and see if I can download the exercises seperately.
    Thanks again
    Jack

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can go to YouTube and look for Final Cut tutorials. Don't limit by searching "Final Cut Express" because both Pro and Express have almost identical in operations.

5. Chris7 macrumors 6502

lynda.com

As usual, I recommend lynda.com.

Though I have not used FCE, lynda.com's tutorials have been incredible for FCS2 and Photoshop.

6. Shu15 macrumors regular

7. huntercr macrumors 65816

There are a ton of videos on youtube that are free, though usually they are very specific... if youu'r elooking for general tutorials, I would consider just starting at the beginning of the FCE manual and reading.

I know it's not as good as a video, but the manual is laid out pretty well. Also if you go to the library or want to buy used books on Amazon, old Final Cut Pro books will work as well... 90% of the features are nearly the same between the two. Final cut Pro verison 4 is basically what FCE 4 is ( minus a few key features )
    But any older Final Cut book will do... I learned off of an FCP 2.0 book even.

8. jla930 macrumors member

Yes, there are lots of video tutorials on YouTube, and some of them are pretty good. But finding the good ones is pretty much hit-and-miss.

The FCE manual is over 1000 pages. That's not a bad thing; it's that many pages because it's crammed with info. It's just difficult to sit down and start reading such a large manual page by page.

Personally, I find the FCE manual is an extremely good reference source AFTER I read Diana Weynand's book that I referenced in my previous post, and AFTER I did some of the izzyvideo tutorials.

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The best way is just to record footage and get going! Edit anything you can!

Another useful tool I found is if there is a certain effect I want to achieve search it on youtube for example "Colour keying in Final Cut Express" and you will get videos like this which although sometimes annoying will show you how to do it!

When you've done some work post it in the Macrumors Film Collection in my sig, its a collection of short films from Macrumors members!

10. deej999 macrumors regular

I see no one mentioned www.macprovideo.com already. The FC tutorials, 101 especially, is out of this world. Made by Michael Wohl = one of original creators of the final cut. You can get 50% off any tutorial there now with this secret code.
    09MPVLaunch50
    :D
    deej

11. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

12. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

+1 for lynda.com their are awesome.
    and you could get your certificate online through them.