Final Cut Express or other Editing software for Emac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by txnoob, Mar 13, 2009.

1. txnoob macrumors 6502

I have a G4 1.25ghz Emac w/ 1gb ram. Is there a version of Final Cut or other editing software that will work on this Machine. Or would it be best to use iMoive or iDVD? I have a Canond FD100 (flash memory camcorder) and would like to take all the clips of video and smoothly cut out dull spots and put all the pieces together.

2. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

With a G4, you're stuck with iMovie 6 if you go the iMovie route. If you have iLife 06, you're set. If you have 08, you used to be able to download the iMovie 6 version that went with it - not sure if it's still floating around the internet or not.

Since your eMac has a Radeon 9200 and therefore no Core Image support, I think (but I'm not sure) that you want to skip the current version of Final Cut Express.

3. txnoob thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks much. I'm going to have to use an external CD Writer as the internal is just a combo drive. I saw the latest version of iMovie on a Mac Mini today and was impressed. I was going to buy a Mini, but thought if I could get away with what I need on the eMac then I wouldn't have to fork out $600.

4. elvirav macrumors member

elvirav

Get an older version of Final Cut Express (like version 3.5) because it should be pretty cheap, and it'll have the full version of LiveType. (Version 4.0 has less media—it's still okay, but not as nice as LiveType in 3.5.) The main thing would be if it'll support your camcorder. If iMovie 6 will support it then I would guess that FCE 3.5 will as well. (But double-check this.)