Final Cut Express or Pro for canon 5d mkii & 1d Mkiv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by photogy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. photogy macrumors member

i am a pro stills photographer looking to start making short films and doc's using canon 5d mkii & 1d mkiv.

1. does Final Cut Express (FCE) support these camera's HD formats straight?

2. can you work with files in Final Cut Pro FCP) that have been made in FCE (as you cant the other way round i believe)?

3. for anyone else out there doing the above, would you recommend to just get FCP now and not waste time with FCE and then upgrading later as i am a pro photog?

Thanks!

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

1. No, you'd have to transcode to Apple Intermediate Codec.

2. Yes.

3. If you plan to shoot 24p then you're going to run into difficulties because FCE won't work with it.

3. photogy thread starter macrumors member

many thanks..helpful!

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I would get started with FCE as Final Cut Studio is a large amount of money to be spending considering you only want to make use of the video editing (at this stage atleast) which is a very minimal improvement over FCE.

5. photogy thread starter macrumors member

thanks...useful...i read today that canon is upgrading the 5d mkii to 24p..tough decision to 'future proof' my purchase and also save the hassle of transcoding (as per the previous reply) every time...

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The 5D is already capable of shooting 24fps. It's also still capable of shooting 30fps as well. So you can choose either framerate.

7. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

The 5D mkII is a great camera, wish I had one :D
    I settled for the 550D instead and love it! :p

My suggestion is to go with FCP 7 and download Canon's 'e1 plugin' as it will make your life so much easier when downloading and converting files.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

If you're new to editing, then I'm afraid it's going to be a really steep learning curve regardless of which version of Final Cut you are using, but in the long run it will be worth it.
    Essentially Canon have built video capabilities in to there DSLRs with FCP (though not exclusively) in mind.

FCE is a great bit of software, but FCP7 really cuts the mustard!

good luck

8. photogy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks..very useful..hope you get your 5D MkII one day!

looked at the link too..i guess that FCP is the way as it may cost more now, but its 'future proof' as HD on DLSR's in here to stay...as a non 'techy' learning to use all the software is a very steep curve so to get something more seamless now will be more beneficial..shooting it is the easy part!

where i live (Dubai) FCP is over $300 more expensive than US..so i will be getting on-line ;)