Final Cut Express Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zechmann, Feb 15, 2008.

1. zechmann macrumors member

I try to import a video into Final Cut Express and when i try to edit the movie it says that the "codec couldnt not be opened"... how do i fix this problem???

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You need to convert the video to a different format that FCE can edit.

What version of FCE are you using and what format is the video in that you are trying to edit?

3. zechmann thread starter macrumors member

FCE 4 and its an avi file... well multiple avi files (divx i think)

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You will have to convert the file to a format FCE supports. Use Visual Hub to convert to an mpeg or dv file.

You do have to pay for Visual Hub however.

5. zechmann thread starter macrumors member

do you know of a program that does support editing avi's? and .3g2 (my phones video)... thanks though, ill def use visual hub in the mean while

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Those aren't editing codecs, they're delivery codecs. You need to convert to an editing codec to be able to edit it.

7. tsincaat macrumors member

Well, Premiere pro can certainly open .avi's. I'm not sure about .3g2s though, I'd doubt it.

8. zechmann thread starter macrumors member

9. wetabax macrumors newbie

ffmpegx

Well. I tried with FFMPEGX - dragged the movie into left side. Right side I setted as mp4 (H.264) and converted. It worked when imported to FCP. Now I have FCP freezed. I will restart everything but I think the files can be read from FCP. The quality isn't the best, if someone has a better solution, please share with us. Thanks.

- walter tabax
    - sao paulo / sp
    - br

10. huntercr macrumors 65816

do that again, except don't have the right side be H/264, have it be NTSC DV video ( or PAL, whichever standard you want ). That will load up perfectly in Final Cut Express. I have afeeling though, if you didn't know that you're going to be in for a heck of a learning curve with FCE. Good luck!