Final Cut Express Quality Degradation

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AlecJenx, Sep 3, 2010.

1. AlecJenx macrumors member

Hey there everybody. I searched around for this answer on the forum and otherwise, but couldn't seem to find anything. So forgive me if it slipped through my fingertips.

I'm trying edit some simple clips in Final Cut together for a little project. When I view my clips in the viewer, they are crisp and clear. But When I drag my selection into the canvas, the quality of the clips is immediately affected. They are slightly fuzzy and nowhere near as crisp. I'm wondering what is causing this, and what my solution might be. If anybody has any idea, please just throw it out and I'll give it a whirl.

The video I'm shooting is from a Canon 550D at full 1080p, 24fps. And I'm editing on a two year old iMac, if that helps.

Thanks for your time, and thanks in advanced!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

The Viewer in Final Cut shows the video at it's native resolution IF the clip is brought in from the Browser. Bit once you place the video in the Timeline, it shows it at the Sequence resolution. If the clip resolution is greater that the Sequence resolution, it is normal that it would look degraded because it is BEING downscaled to meet the specs you chose for the Sequence.

Try rendering FULL and see if that helps. But the correct way to work is to set your Sequence so it matches your clip's specs. If you have to edit in a lower quality format, convert the media PRIOR to importing it into your FCE project.

-DH

3. AlecJenx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much! This made perfect sense to a novice like myself, and it worked perfectly! I am eternally grateful hahah.