final cut express question?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bloodycape, Dec 29, 2007.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

when ever I try to view a video file in the viewer the video is shown all jerky and such. However once they are put in the time line and the rendered it is all cool. Is this a problem with FCE or is this a issue with my MBP? Thank you.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

It sounds like you're using a non-friendly video codec on a system with VERY limited resources. What video codec are you working with and what version of FCE and QuickTime?

-DH

3. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

FCE 3.5, and I am using motion jpeg video(in avi format). I have a MBP 2.0 CD with 1.5gb of ram. So could the motion jpeg file be the cause of it?

EDIT: I think the motion jpeg works fine, but motion jpeg files that were converted by imovie to dv are the issue. Odd I guess. I doubt I be working with many of these files, but a fix would be nice.

Is there a reason why files like motion jpeg need rendering when put in the timeline?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Absolutely.

Because they don't work natively in FCE. AFAIK, FCE only works with DV or HDV. Any other format/codec will need to be rendered. Rendering essentially converts it to match your FCE Sequence settings.

-DH

5. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

So imovie is cool with this format(as it plays it natively) but FCE is not? What about Final Cut Pro does that support motion jpeg files?