Final Cut Express Rendering..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Robby9279, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I'm trying to edit some footage I recorded of my screen, using the program, iShowuHD. However, after every time I try to add in a clip, I ALWAYS have to render. Needless to say, this makes the process much longer. Is there anyway around this without having to render every time, but keeping the quality the same? I believe it has something to do with my "Easy Setup" preferences but I have no idea which option to choose.

Thanks in advance,
    Robby

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at the settings of your recorded video file via Quick Time or the FCE browser window, and see that the match with the Sequence Settings.

For example:

Your file is 1024x768, 30 frames per second (fps), .h264 codec, 8-bit audio at 22.050 kHz.

Your sequence settings should be the same, but FCE most probably won't offer you the right resolution, as it is geared towards film and TV/video formats instead of computer screen resolutions.

CLICKABLE THUMBNAIL
    [​IMG]

What are the specs of your recorded video file and the sequence settings?

3. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

If I understand what you're saying properly, the specs of my video file are as follows;

[​IMG]

and my sequence settings are;

[​IMG]

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The second picture doesn't show me your sequence settings, just how your timeline displays clips.

You get to your Sequence settings by right clicking on the sequence and selecting Settings... .
    It should look like my screen shot I posted in my first post.

As far as I can tell, your clip doesn't abide to any Sequence Presets FCE offers.
    And you also have to convert your video to an editable codec, as MPEG-4 is not meant for editing.
    It would be best to choose DV or maybe some ProRes codec.
    You could do the converting via MPEG Streamclip.

5. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I did right click, and that's the screen I get. I thought I was going to get your screen when I did so but, I did not.

What's the best free converter out there?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG Streamclip at www.squared5.com is a good converter.

Also I use FCP and not FCE, so that might be the difference.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Final_Cut_Express_4_User_Manual.pdf

Here's a screenshot from Apple.
    [​IMG]

What about the Tab "Render Control"?

There must be something where you can at least choose DV-PAL or DV-NTSC or Apple Intermediate or something.

Have a look around.

MRoogle might also be of help.

7. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I can see render control and all that, I just can't see that window you showed me.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you create a new project (just for testing) and a new sequence in that and see if you somehow can choose something like DV-PAL/NTSC or anything with HDV or HD 1080i or 720p?

Or try converting your video to something that uses the DV codec, and see if you still have to render.

9. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

That worked! Thanks for the suggestion, and the converter! It's very much appreciated.