Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattburley1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
I'm using the latest Mac Mini with 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB/ram. I just bought Final Cut and when I drag a video to the timeline and play it, I get a blue screen with 'unrendered'.

How can I fix this? Surely the Mac is capable of rendering some SD video in real time?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Surely you haven't read the manual yet?

There it is stated (on page whatever), that the clip properties and sequence settings should be the same.

For instance, the clip is 720x576, 25fps, DV codec, 16:9 Anamorphic, 48KHz, so the sequence setting should mirror that.

What sequence settings and what clip properties do you have?

mattburley1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Surely you haven't read the manual yet?

There it is stated (on page whatever), that the clip properties and sequence settings should be the same.

For instance, the clip is 720x576, 25fps, DV codec, 16:9 Anamorphic, 48KHz, so the sequence setting should mirror that.

What sequence settings and what clip properties do you have?

Hi,

I haven't had the chance yet, unfortunately, but i'll read the manual shortly.

My camera is PAL and I have selected 'DV-PAL' in the Easy Setup as this seems to match my camera, although when I import the video I still get 'unrendered' and also when i choose a frame the video is 'squished' in as 4:3, even though my camera is 16:9.

Not sure why it's doing this.

Also, could I also use two different cameras with two different formats? Is that possible?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So your sequence settings have to be DV PAL, 16:9 and 25fps too.

I don't know about the mixed aspect ratio though. It worked for me in FCP, when I tried to do that, but since I'm more of an Avid user, I don't really know.

Caida104

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
How to render video in Final Cut Express 4

At the top, click 'Sequence', then move your mouse over 'render all' and click 'both' and it should render your video and audio. :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
At the top, click 'Sequence', then move your mouse over 'render all' and click 'both' and it should render your video and audio. :)

But that is only a temporary solution, as once the sequence is rendered and you decide to change one or more clips (duration or position or something else) you have to render the clip(s) again, which is not necessary when the clip(s) and the timeline (sequence) correspond in its settings.

If you have DV PAL 16:9 25p footage with 48kHz audio in 16bit (uncompressed, not mp3s), the sequence should be DV PAL 16:9 25p with 48kHz and 16bit audio.

The same goes for 720p, 1080i and 1080p and all the other formats there.

That's why I like Avid more, because during capture/import the footage gets converted to the right format, but which also means, that one can't have different timeline settings in one project (eg. a PAL 25p sequence and a 720p one). One has to create a new project therefore.

jfwmix

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
I know this thread is about a year old, but hopefully someone can help me out. Same problem mattburley1993 was having.

Here are the settings from my video that I'm importing:
1280x720
H.264

My EAST SETUP settings are:
Format: HD
Rate: 29.97
Use: HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 720p30

Apparently this is not correct as it does not work correctly. What settings do I need so I don't have to render every time I make an edit. This program is unusable in this manner and I know it doesn't have to be like this. Sorry for the simple question.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and you are welcome to email me directly.

johnfwilkinson@comcast.net

But that is only a temporary solution, as once the sequence is rendered and you decide to change one or more clips (duration or position or something else) you have to render the clip(s) again, which is not necessary when the clip(s) and the timeline (sequence) correspond in its settings.

If you have DV PAL 16:9 25p footage with 48kHz audio in 16bit (uncompressed, not mp3s), the sequence should be DV PAL 16:9 25p with 48kHz and 16bit audio.

The same goes for 720p, 1080i and 1080p and all the other formats there.

That's why I like Avid more, because during capture/import the footage gets converted to the right format, but which also means, that one can't have different timeline settings in one project (eg. a PAL 25p sequence and a 720p one). One has to create a new project therefore.

Attachments

• SS.png
    SS.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 213

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Here are the settings from my video that I'm importing: H.264

You're right, it is NOT correct. H.264 is a codec designed for final delivery (web, Blu-ray, etc) and is not meant for editing. Convert the H.264 files so they match your Easy Setup in FCP.

-DH

jfwmix

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
DH -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've realized that is the problem in the last hour or so. I've put the H.264 files into Compressor and converted them to AIC and they are fine. The only problem is that it takes a LONG time to convert a large group of files. Is there any way in FCE to change the Compressor settings of the Sequence to anything other than AIC when using HD video? I cannot find a place to do this as the only other options are NTSC and PAL. No H.264 or Apple ProRes 422..

BTW, I see you are in Nashville too.

You're right, it is NOT correct. H.264 is a codec designed for final delivery (web, Blu-ray, etc) and is not meant for editing. Convert the H.264 files so they match your Easy Setup in FCP.

-DH

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Is there any way in FCE to change the Compressor settings of the Sequence to anything other than AIC when using HD video?

FCE only works natively with DV and AIC. You can ingest AVCHD and HDV, but they both get converted to AIC.

On the other hand, FCP works with many HD formats ... but even FCP doesn't work with h.264 natively.

-DH

jfwmix

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
FCE only works natively with DV and AIC. You can ingest AVCHD and HDV, but they both get converted to AIC.

On the other hand, FCP works with many HD formats ... but even FCP doesn't work with h.264 natively.

-DH

Got it.

I don't really care what format they are (provided it maintains the initial quality) as long as the sequence format and and video clip format are the same and will, 1. playback properly in FCE, and 2. do not take an obscene amount of time to convert.

Is there a way to import H.264 into FCE and have it convert as it imports, essentially making it a one step process rather than having to use multiple steps in multiple apps.

Thanks again for your advise and help.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Is there a way to import H.264 into FCE and have it convert as it imports, essentially making it a one step process rather than having to use multiple steps in multiple apps.

Nope. You'll have to do it with another app PRIOR to importing into FCE. FCE works with DV, HDV and AVCHD - the latter two get converted to AIC on ingest since FCE really only works with AIC for HD footage. All other formats must be converted prior to import.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.