Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is Final Cut Express usable on a G4 Mini? The "System Requirements" on the Apple web site are not clear to me. I'd like to be able to use the G4 Mini to do some very basic things, mainly just reviewing new footage, trashing the junk, wrinting notes and other organizational tasks. All meterial is SD miniDV format.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
it should be fine.

i used final cut pro on a G4 mini for a few pretty intense jobs. its not blazing fast, but it worked fine.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Which part of the FCE system requirements weren't clear?

System Requirements
• Macintosh computer with 500MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 (550MHz for PowerBook G4) or Intel Core Duo
• 512MB RAM
• 1024-by-768 or higher resolution display
• An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme, or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in a MacBook or Mac mini.
• Mac OS X v10.4.6 or later
• QuickTime 7.0.4 or later
• 500MB disk space for applications; additional 16GB for Soundtrack and LiveType content (can be installed on separate disks)
• DVD drive for installation
• HDV features require 1GHz or faster processor and 1GB RAM (2GB recommended)

-DH

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The fourth item. The G4 mini has a Radeon 9200 on a 4x AGP bus but is this "compatible with Quartz Extreme"? How to know? And then it may be that Basic FPE features work even if the System Requirements are not met.

Which part of the FCE system requirements weren't clear?

System Requirements
• Macintosh computer with 500MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 (550MHz for PowerBook G4) or Intel Core Duo
• 512MB RAM
• 1024-by-768 or higher resolution display
• An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme, or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in a MacBook or Mac mini.
• Mac OS X v10.4.6 or later
• QuickTime 7.0.4 or later
• 500MB disk space for applications; additional 16GB for Soundtrack and LiveType content (can be installed on separate disks)
• DVD drive for installation
• HDV features require 1GHz or faster processor and 1GB RAM (2GB recommended)

-DH

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
The fourth item. The G4 mini has a Radeon 9200 on a 4x AGP bus but is this "compatible with Quartz Extreme"? How to know? And then it may be that Basic FPE features work even if the System Requirements are not met.

I figured that might be the one. Graphics cards and their specs often confuse me as well. Here's the info from ATI's site on the 9200 Mac Edition: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200me/index.html

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.