Final Cut Express Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chryon, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Chryon macrumors newbie

I have captured a clip from my mini-dv camera to my Browser Window. With my mouse, I double clicked the clip so that it opens in my Viewer Window.

The problem is that when I play the clip back in the Viewer Window it makes that annoying beeping sound, which tells me the audio needs rendered but when I drag that same clip from the Browser Window to the Timeline Window and then play the clip it doesn't have that annoying beeping sound? I'm baffled as to how I can fix the problem. Can someone help? I want to mark which parts of the clip I wish to use without moving the entire clip to the Timeline first. I have to do that now on some of my clips to avoid those annoying beeps. How can I get that sound to go away? It doesnt do it for all my captured clips?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Welcome to final cut. :)

Ok no really.. when you drop it on the timeline, Final cut is rendering the "final" output of the audio.. if you had applied filters or effect they woul dneed to be rendered too. In the preview window, Final cut is just trying to play the source, it's not keeping track of anything. I know this sounds totally silly, but that's the mindset you have to have. if you put it on the timeline, you are going to have to render it. Now you have a very old verion of FInal Cut, so you don't get the Real Time rendering benefits that the later versions have IIRC.

if this frustrates you, here's a little trick I do: I'm sure ther'es a better way to do this, but this is what I do when I am dealing with an imported audio track that is not renderable in realtime. ( for instance dv clips imported by imovie )

If you are taking your whole project from one source file, simply open a new sequence, drag the entire clip onto the timeline, and set it to render and then go get some coffee.
    When it's done rendering, save the project, and then open a new sequence and copy the clip from the first timeline to the second one. Make your edits on the 2nd timeline, and you won't have to rerender until rendering is truly necessary.
    Give it a try. I probably messed this advice up since I am going from memory. I haven't done somethign like that in 3-4 years.

Also, consider upgrading to FCE HD. If your copy of FCE 1.0 is legit, you can get it for like $79. Believe me, it's worth it.