Final Cut Express versus Premiere Pro CS3 versus Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by adimeff, Nov 20, 2008.

1. adimeff macrumors newbie

I just started using a mac this year and want to start using a video-editing program. I've used premiere a lot before, but never any of the final cut products. I am still just getting into video editing, but I'd like to do more than just cut and paste. Through my university, I can buy final cut express 4 for 75$, final cut studio 2 for 450$, or for 200$ I can get a package that includes:

* Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
    * Adobe Illustrator CS3
    * Adobe Flash CS3 Professional
    * Adobe After Effects CS3 Professional
    * Adobe Premiere Pro CS3
    * Adobe Soundbooth CS3
    * Adobe Encore CS3
    * Adobe Bridge CS3
    * Adobe Dynamic Link
    * Adobe Device Central CS3
    * Adobe Acrobat Connect
    (keep in mind that I already have flash, illustrator, and photoshop, so those aren't big draws).

final cut pro seems like it might not be worth an extra 250$, so right now I am pretty much debating btwn premiere and final cut elements. Any advice?
    (By the way, the camera I will be using can sort of shoot at "24fps," but not true 24fps, so it should be compatible with final cut express.... )

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

One question I would ask is what are you going to use them for? Is Radio/TV/Film your Major? Multimedia design?

What do you want to do with your skills and how much interest and time to you have to put into it?

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Final Cut express can't edit on a 24fps timeline. Though your camera probably uses the weird 24fps wrapped in 60i type of thing which Final Cut Express can edit.

BUT if you wanted to remove the pulldown by doing running something like jes del-interlacer and using inverse telecine, to get true 24fps. you would need either Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro to edit that on a 24fps timeline.

I've been using Final Cut Express 4 for a while now and just switched to CS4 (because i needed photoshop) and so far I'm not to impressed with premiere pro CS4 compared to the Final Cut workflow, but I'm still learning it so i can't make a accurate conclusion.

I think at this point since you already have Photoshop etc.. I would go for the Final Cut Studio 2 route because it is a industry standard, or so I'm lead to believe.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As previously mentioned, what you want to do w/the software is probably the biggest Q to get answered. Are you going to use all the proggies in the Adobe suite or just some of them? Are you going to use all the proggies in the FCS suite (FCP, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, LiveType, DVD Studio Pro, QuickTime Pro, Cinema Tools, Color & Compressor) or just some of them? Do you want to explore this as a career or just a hobby? If as a career do you want to focus on editing, motion gfx, visual fx, compression, etc.,? If, for example, you wanted to focus on editing as a career I'd suggest owning Avid Media Composer 3.0 and FC Studio as Avid and FCP. You can learn the art of editing on pretty much any NLE, but Avid and FCP are the most established in most markets which is why I suggested those two over Premiere Pro.

There really isn't a wrong answer just whatever suits your needs the best.

Lethal

5. heron88 macrumors 6502

If I could get all those adobe products you listed for 200 bucks I would hop on it right away. How are you getting such a good price through your university?

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm going to guess perhaps because CS4 is already out and the school is clearing out CS3.

7. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

OK one big question. Again what is your use towards videos editing. Is it just a hobby or are you going to get into complex editing i.e. becoming a film major or minor.

THis is what i think,

If you are just getting into video editing i recommend you get final cup express for 75 bucks. It's good price because usually the cost is 200. The whole adobe package is not necessary, because like you said you are just getting into video editing. Save some money.

But

If you are going to take this seriously, invest in final cup studio now or the adobe cs3 suite because you will need it later.

8. adimeff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone! At this point, I am pretty much interested in video more as a hobby than as a career path. I'm studying art, but won't be declaring a concentration for a few semesters, so I'm not sure if I'll end up focusing on time-based media or something else.

9. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

yeah so i suggest investing in final cut express. it would be perfect for you.