Final Cut Express Viable as a "portable" version of Final Cut Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Inferno313, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Inferno313 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I recently ordered a 15" i7 Macbook Pro. I've been doing some research on different software while I await it's arrival.

I recently graduated High School, and will be attending a local college as a film major in the fall. Now, at school, I'll have access to desktop Macs (Not sure if they are iMacs or Mac Pros) with Final Cut Studio on them.

I would like to have some good editing software on my new Macbook for working on projects when away from the film building or campus.

Now, buying Final Cut Studio is out of my price range for a while. I was wondering if you guys think that Final Cut Express would be a viable "portable" version to use. If not, can you offer another recommendation? Or would it be best to not bother unless I can get Final Cut Studio?

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Well if your plan is to move projects back and forth between FCE and FCP, then I would say no. I could foresee problems with that.

What is your budget? Because the Final Cut Studio price with the student discount is pretty awesome.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Not anymore. It's now $900, which is about the same price most Apple resellers charge for the regular version. I'm pretty sure projects saved in FCP can't be opened in FCE, not to mention you won't be able to work on stuff done in the other apps in the suite. I think your best bet is to just save up for FCS.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that is correct, Final Cut express projects can't be opened in Final Cut Pro.
    my advice is buy whatever version they have an and external drive with multiple inputs (FW 400/800/USB/esata) and use that to save all your media (scartch drive) this way you can work from school and home without any issues. I like G-drives. Get the biggest you can afford this way you can save your work this way after graduation you have all the work you've done to show employers.

I recommend NOT get the education version of Final Cut Pro as the price saving is that great.
    You can get the full version of Final Cut at mac mall for cheaper then at apple. Also by getting the full version you can use the upgrades that are only like $300 or so when a new version of Final Cut comes out. If you buy the education version you can't use the upgrades. You have to buy the full version again.

5. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

College bookstores sell FCS3 academic for $299. At least UPenn and NYU do.

6. WestSt macrumors member

Small comment - My experience is that FC Express projects usually opens in FC PRO with few or no issues, as long as you have your presets in check (and you'll be asked to convert to FC Pro project). But the other way around, FC PRO to FC Express, almost always creates issues, if the project opens at all (as for what you've created in FC Studio apps like Motion - NO chance, of course).

7. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz