Final Cut Express Vs. Adobe Premier CS3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techlover828, Aug 13, 2007.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Hello Everybody!

I am in the process of getting software for my MBP, and am now faced with a difficult decision, Final Cut Express Vs. Adobe Premier CS3. I currently have the trial of Premier and I haven't played with it very much, but it seems like a good program. Then again Final Cut Express also seems nice. Money isn't an issue, and the reason I am not stepping up to Final Cut Studio is because of the size (50GB seems like a lot to me!). If anyone has any experience with both and can tell me which one is better/more powerful I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks in advanced for any info!

No one has experience with both of these products?

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

You might want to give it some time for some more responses. What exactly are you looking for in a editor?

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'd like a fairly simple interface with a decent amount of power.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Final Cut Express meets both these criteria.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well if that is your main concerns, FCE will meet your needs. I have not used the CS3 version of premier yet, but the latest version of FCE should be a decent performer for what you want. I would suggest buying a book on Final Cut Express on Amazon or something to speed up your learning of the software.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Premiere is utter **** and there's a reason why they discontinued it for over 5 years: Final Cut blows it away. I haven't used the new version (CS3), but I'm guessing it's just as crap as the windows version and the old OS X versions.

Wow, after a quick search, I found out that Premiere CS3 is $799. What a ****ing rip off for awful software.

FCE is $299 ($149 edu) plus you get Soundtrack and Livetype.

And if you really want to spend big bucks, FCS2 blows Premiere back to the big bang.

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

it really is a matter of usage... and quite frankly no-one other than yourself can tell you which suits more....

I find i use both frequently although i prefer the apple software.... adobe is good for its 'across-app-integration'. It definitly helps things when using flash to use premiere.

If money is not a question then why not purchase both, if you will shell out 800 for premiere then what an extra 200 (if money is not a question)?

8. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

9. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

then you should tell us what suits you :eek:

10. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

I've used both - and while Premiere CS3 was better than I expected (like zioxide said, they discontinued it for 5 years on the Mac because no one in their right mind would have bought what Premiere was over Final Cut Pro - but now that the PC video market has more competitors too - I guess they felt like they had to do something), I would still hands down go with Final Cut Express. Ease of use is relative - and both are going to have a learning curve - but I just think FCP/E does it better than Adobe ever did (and I started video editing in Adobe Premiere on a G3 back in 1999 when I was still in high school) and it is a fine tool for consumers who want to learn/play around - but it is also the only alternative to Avid that any professional I've met would consider. I could see someone asking about Avid Xpress vs. FCE - but I have to be honest, seeing someone want opinions on Premiere vs. FCE is a bit of a surprise.

If you are wanting a simple interface - FCE is going to win - period. And if you have any experience with iMovie, you will already know some of the basic cut/trim techniques. Premiere is just a different system. I prefer the fluidity, speed and power I get from Final Cut - but as anim8or said, only you can decide which one you want.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Plus Final Cut Express has the advantage of easing the transition to Final Cut Studio should you decide to upgrade in the future.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So true. Well actually, there pretty much is no transition at all. All of the basic stuff in FCE can be done exactly the same in FCP. The interface is exactly the same, FCP just has some extra bells and whistles along with more diverse format support for broadcast and film.

13. tim2short macrumors newbie

I bought the Adobe CS3 Master Collection which has Premiere, Encore, and After Effects bundled with it. However, I purchased FCE 3.5 a few months prior because it was only $100 with a new mac- I've still yet to open it. Should I sell it (probably about $150 on ebay) or is it worth it to keep? From what I've heard, I would definitely use FCE given the choice, but I don't need both!? :confused:

Also- if I were to use FCE for video editing, could I work with After Effects and Encore? Are the two different platforms compatible?? Or is it even necessary to be compitable...

14. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

Final Cut

hm. I just put a quote within a quote. anyways...
    Yes. Premeire I believe is used by prosumers, wedding videographers, nothing on a major professional scale that I've ever seen. For television edit jobs here in california, I see no one on premeire, and a vast flood of final cut systems. That being said, you benefit immediately from Final Cut because an industry of professional editors are constantly giving feedback to Apple resulting in better features and less bugs. You can trust the software will be around and ever-evolving into the future. Who knows, adobe could give up again on premeire. You also benefit down the road in case there's a job involving Final Cut (more an industry standard than premeire).

Also, if $ is no issue, get fcpro, not express. Why didn't u want pro? Something about 50GB? That's the sample media from DVD Stu Pro / Motion / LiveType, you can opt out of that stuff. I hate templates so... I can that stuff.

15. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

Yes- will work with after effects. You would export your clip hi-res from fcp to go to afx or vice-versa. Come back and ask for indepth details when you need them, but I do it all the time.