Final Cut Express VS. Adobe Premiere Pro - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Timberline, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Timberline macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm a graphic designer with about four years of video editing experience as well, and I have recently converted over to a Mac. I'm about to purchase Adobe CS3, but am debating on which suite, so I'm turning to you guys for advice:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Experience:
    * Avid Xpress Pro
    * Sony Vegas Video

My Options / Prices:
    Adobe CS3 Master Collection ($506.00)
    Total Price:$506.00
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/
    [​IMG]
    * Adobe InDesign® CS3
    * Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended
    * Adobe Illustrator® CS3
    * Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
    * Adobe Flash® CS3 Professional
    * Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3
    * Adobe Fireworks® CS3
    * Adobe Contribute®
    * Adobe After Effects® CS3 Professional
    * Adobe Premiere® Pro CS3
    * Adobe Soundbooth™ CS3
    * Adobe Encore® CS3

---------------------------------OR----------------------------------------

Adobe CS3 Design Premium ($306.00) + Final Cut Express ($99)
    Total Price:$405.00
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design/
    [​IMG] + [​IMG]
    * Adobe InDesign® CS3
    * Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended
    * Adobe Illustrator® CS3
    * Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
    * Adobe Flash® CS3 Professional
    * Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3
    +
    * Final Cut Express 4

What I'm Concerned About:
    Avid Xpress Pro and Sony Vegas Video are relatively complex compared to programs like Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, etc. I don't want to be downgrading by going with Final Cut Express, but at the same time, my focus is on graphic design and not so much on editing. If I do get into editing more seriously down the road, however, which program would be more beneficial to know? What tends to be the industry standard?

Is it worth the extra money to go with Premiere? I cannot afford Final Cut Pro Studio 2 at this point (the cheapest I found it was $699). I'm extremely tired of using Avid Xpress and Sony Vegas Video seems to be falling behind in terms of number of people using it. I'm ready for new software.

So I must ask... WWMRD? What Would MacRumors Do?

Thanks!

2. nosey313 macrumors member

3. Timberline thread starter macrumors newbie

Those are the prices that my school sells them for (University of Colorado).

4. nosey313 macrumors member

Wow, that's a great price. My school lost its cheap pricing from Adobe years ago. IMO, I'd go with the Master Suite. Get it all if you can.

5. sk8r527 macrumors member

I would go with the master collection because after effects might come in handy one day.

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

My parents worked at UC, and I grew up in Boulder!
    17th street near Baseline.

I think FCE would be a good choice; upgrading to FCS later would be fairly straight-forward, in terms of the learning curve.
    IMO, Final Cut Studio is one of the top ten reasons to buy a Mac.

7. nosey313 macrumors member

Similar Question

Similarly, I have a question as well. I'm starting a side business doing picture slideshows for weddings, birthday's etc. I also am faced with choice.

1. Buy Premiere Pro

2. Buy Final Cut Express

3. Use iMovie

I don't plan on doing any real video editing outside of the slideshows, so I'm wondering if I could just use the iMovie. Also, if I just use iMovie, I'll have enough money to buy Adobe Design Studio, as I will use the included programs more often. What do you think?

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Once you get used to iMovie, you'll find it is easy to use, more than good enough for slideshows especially with Ken Burns effect and you can even edit some video clips as well if you need to as long as you don't need more than one video track. (These are all for iMovie 06, I don't have any experience with the new version, but Apple lets you download the old one if you get iLife '08.) I am pretty sure Premiere Pro can do even more, but it is not as user friendly, so it takes me longer to do some simple tasks. If you think you'll need the other programs in Adobe Design Studio, I would definitely pick option 3.

9. nosey313 macrumors member

I've actually used Premiere Elements to do a couple of slideshows on my old PC, so I'm used to the interface of Premiere. However, if one of the other options will work, I'd rather be able to buy Photoshop and the other programs within Adobe Design Suite. But if it would be better to get a more advanced program now, I'd do that too.

So, what would be the difference between FCE and iMovie in terms of features?

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The difference between FCE and iMovie is very significant in terms of control over the final project.
    I suggest you do a small project in the latest version of iMovie, and decide of you actually need a more advanced package.
    You probably don't, if you're just doing slideshows.

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Also check out Fotomagico from Boinx.
    Also Pulpmotion

12. jlynn628 macrumors newbie

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I would get Final Cut express. no one really uses premiere anymore.

14. elvirav macrumors member

elvirav

I don't think Premiere is better than Final Cut (I'm an expert in neither, but there are a few things I already prefer in Final Cut) but you really need to think hard before passing up After Effects.

If you're sure you'll never use it, then save your money and get Final Cut Express.

15. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

FCP is better than Premiere Pro (at some things), but I'd take PP over FCE in a heartbeat. The price on that master collection is too good to pass up. 'cause not only do you get the video editing software, you get the DVD authoring (Adobe Encore), motion graphics (After Effects), and audio (Soundbooth).

Do you have an Intel Mac? I ask because Premiere Pro, Soundbooth, and Encore won't run on PPC. That would mean you're only choice is to go FCE.

16. mellowfellowcow macrumors newbie

Premiere Pro for sure

Ok heres the deal. Premiere Pro is a way better choice. The only thing is that Final Cut Pro is a very good program for mac and it is very easy to use. So starting out on express might be smart if you plan to upgrade later. I still suggest Premiere Pro. Also the price that you are getting the master edition for is amazing so that is an extremely good deal. After effects is going to be great if you take the time to get used to the learning curve.