Final Cut Express vs iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Jul 19, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I'm upgrading from a SD camera to either a HDV or AVCHD. I currently have iLife 06 -- iMovieHD. With a AVCHD I'd have to upgrade to either iLife 08 or FCE. Which is a better program for AVCHD workflow?

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think most people here, myself included, would recommend FCE. Most people who have used iMovie 8 despise it (hence Apple making v6 available for free download) so I think FCE would be the way to go.

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Hey there,

I'm just putting this out there so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only part of the AVCHD workflow that iMovieHD won't handle is the conversion of the .mts camera files to AIC / .mov. So you could always do the translation in iMovie08, and then work with the AIC files in iMovieHD and take advantage of its greater functionality, saving yourself some hard-earned at the same time.

Then again, FCE looks cool. Just a bit of a learning curve moving there from iMovie, but no doubt worth it in the long run.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

4. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Andrew, as always a good suggestion. I've used iMovie since its start and know it well, but honestly there's not that much to know. It is simple but works perfectly. FCE is also costs more than an iLife upgrade. So is FCE a comfortable learn for some who knows iMovie and is it much more advanced (in control, ease of use, etc) than iMovieHD?

5. ttech macrumors newbie

I would suggest getting FCE. I have used it now for over two years and didn't find it overly hard to convert from iMovie. Yes it has a learning curve, but the extra controls you have in FCE over iMovie is worth it. I also teach video to high school students and over the three years we have used FCE, the students have not really struggled going from iMovie to FCE. There are differences, but I feel the jump to FCE would benefit you.

6. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like I'm going to go HDV over AVCHD so I'm ok with iMovie. I do wonder with the iMovie '08 complaints if Apple will add back the features with the next round. I'm sure they want people to use the latest software and iLife isn't now offering much of an upgrade (at least for non AVCHD video).

7. 801 macrumors newbie

FCE is the way. Time to learn how to do it like the big boys. Learning curve kinda steep, but well worth the climb.

8. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I might still upgrade. The main reason why was to get AVCHD support, but I'm going the HDV route. Just spend a lot on a camera and need AppleTV. Might wait on the $200 FCE.