Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Hello,

I have just forked out for Final Cut Express as I have found that iMovie '08 doesn't offer the required audio editing (particularly noise reduction from my camcorder) features that I need.

My camera (Canon MD101) records in "true widescreen 16:9". I have two questions:

1. What settings should I use for "Easy Setup"? I have tried DV-PAL and DV-PAL Anamorphic (looks less stretched) (I have set it to PAL as I am in the UK and bought the camera here).

2. When I am previewing the footage to import - when the camera zooms in the film I get loads of funny horizontal lines visible (are these to do with interlacing?). These lines are not visible when I import with iMovie or when I preview the film on the camera itself. They seem visible in zooming and fast action scenes. What are they? How do I get rid of them? Have I got my settings incorrect?

I haven't even started trying to learn how to use FCE yet as I am stumbling at the first hurdle!

Many thanks,

MadDoc

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
1. Your camera has settings for both 4:3 and 16:9. Use DV-PAL for 4:3 ( regular ) mode, and DV-PAL Anamorphic for 16:9 mode. Once it is captured, the video should not appear stretched.

2. Yes, this is interlacing. It won't look this bad when played on the TV. FCE is showing you the interlacing on purpose so you can operate filters and effects on a perfield basis. There are plenty of deinterlacing filters available (one is included with FCE, and several other free nes out on the net )

Be sure and read all the tutorials on the DVD that came with FCE. They are very valuable. Ther'es a very nice PDF manual as well.

Good luck!

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Thank you so much mate!

That is exactly what I needed to know. I shall be sure to read the manual (FCE is not quite as easy to pick up as iMovie was).

Just a quickie... do you always need to apply a deinterlacing filter to the video or only for video that is not intended for TV?

Thanks,

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Thank you so much mate!

That is exactly what I needed to know. I shall be sure to read the manual (FCE is not quite as easy to pick up as iMovie was).

Just a quickie... do you always need to apply a deinterlacing filter to the video or only for video that is not intended for TV?

Thanks,

Many video players on computers will accurately handle an interlaced video incuding quicktime and windows media player 9+

this results in a savings in file size, at the risk of the user playing the video on a system that does not accurately render the interlaced movie, and causes them to see the lines just as you did.

In general, I would deinterlace anything that will be used exclusively on the computer. It will give a consistent user experience.

The best deinterlacer around that is free is the "Smart Deinterlace" by TooMuchTooSoon ( Mattias Sandström ). The only downside is that it is SLOOOOOOW, so you might want to get used to realtime effects and how to use FCE before you apply this filter.

Play around with the Fast Deinterlacer and the regualr one that comes with FCE and see what works for you.

And one final note on FCE: You are right, it isn't as easy to pick up as iMovie, but it is extremely powerful. Learn as much as you can and don't get discouraged. Just come back and ask questions for anything [be sure and read the manual FIRST before asking though ;) ]

If you find any training books on Final Cut Pro 3.5 or older you can also use those. 80-90% of what is in those books applies to FCE as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.