Final Cut express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dr T, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Dr T macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a new mac. I have old versions of Final Cut pro and Express.
    I have a couple of questions about Express 4.0.1

Will it run on the latest Macs?
    does it support HD?
    does it do chroma key greenscreen?
    Thanks,
    Dr T

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

FCE won't install on Lion if you don't find a way to install Rosetta (there are some hints here on the forum). FCP 7 will install and run, for FCP 6 see above.

FCE 4 does support HD (after transcoding to AIC), and it has sufficient keying features (if you din't need broadcast quality).

3. Dr T thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for the reply
    In reading up on Final Cut x, there were some negatives most of which I don't understand.....I'm more of an audio guy. I need to shoot a bunch of green screen videos in hd. I am looking at low cost cameras and I guess I'll update my mac. I have a g4 with old FCPro and pro tools.

My videos are simple. Me in front of the green screen giving lessons for kids with fairly simple backgrounds. What would you recommend for a novice like me? Would the latest $299. version of FCP and a new mac be the best way to go or something else?
    Thanks,
    Dr T

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The chroma keyer in FCP X is terrific.
    For what you are planning, FCP X is well suited. If you didn't understand the negatives, then you won't need them.;)