Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jsf721, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I have final cut express and I am running snow Leopard. I want to upgrade to Lion but I was told that FC Express will stop working as it is not supported and I would have to buy Final Cut Pro for several hundred dollars. This is for my 13 year old who makes movies for FUN and imovie was not enough. I was also told that the DVD burner drops off wih the upgrade tro Lion.

Can someone confirm this for me? Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

Which Final Cut Express version do you have?
    If you have 3.5 and above (4), FCE will run, as it is a universal binary.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

If you don't do a clean install from a formatted hard drive, it will work (3.5 and up).

4. simsaladimbamba

Lion will not let one install FCE?

5. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Lion allows FCE to be installed as long as it's not a PowerPC program. If the version of FCE is made for intel Macs it will run just fine. (So version 3 or 4)

6. simsaladimbamba

I just got confused by cgbier's post. I know, that FCE 3.5 is the first UB version of it, thus it should be able to be installed on Lion, unless there is some other barrier.

7. 0000757 macrumors 68040

I understand what he's saying. He's saying if you don't do a clean install and just upgrade then you won't have to reinstall it.

I think. Anyways OP, If you have 3.5 or 4 then it should work fine.

8. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will let you know how it works after the Lion Upgrade. I will also post my version number as I do not know it at the moment.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I meant to not wipe your disk, as I assume, you'd run into the same trouble as with FCS2. It runs on Lion, but you can't install it, as the installer needs Rosetta.

Better save than sorry.