[Final Cut] From superimposed clips to multiclip

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stormbringer, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

I have a concert which is taken from two angles. However, the two (miniDV) cams are not in sync. I'm not sure it's the best way, but I loaded them both superimposed in the timeline, and synced them there manually. Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Now I want to make a multiclip from this, since that's much easier to work with. I'm not sure how to this though, does anybody have good ideas?

Thanks! :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Final Cut comes as Express and Pro version, and only the Pro version supports Multi-Cam editing.

Here is a link to the official help file, which also comes with FCP 7. It's quite a good resource.
    Versions prior to seven had a PDF manual, which is searchable via Preview, the image and document preview application coming with Mac OS X.

3. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

You can download the manual of Final Cut Pro 7 by clicking in the top-left corner on the name with the Preview-PDF logo.

But I read (most of the) manual considering multi-cams, but they use video-sync (with a clapper for instance, or whatever that thing is called). Which I can't do with my videos, so I synced them with the method I posted before. And going from this syncing result to multi-cam isn't covered by the manual as far as I can see...

And how to sync it on a different (easier?) way I haven't figured yet either...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I understand now.

I do the same with the footage I get, but often we have the same TC across cassettes (1300). But I do that in Avid Media Composer.

Has FCP some kind of Auto Synch feature, where you mark your clips with an in point, when they are synchronized, then select them in the bin, select the auto synch feature and it uses the Mark In as a reference?

This seems to be what I'm talking about: http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=42&section=4 .

Does that help?

5. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I've now set markers for the synchronisation. However, I still have problems with synchronizing the full video. I'll try to explain the situation:

- CAM1 = 100 minutes; CAM2 = 60 minutes
    - sync-point is on 50 minutes of CAM1, and 30 minutes of CAM2; so CAM to starts 20 minutes after CAM1

The problems:
    - If I set a "mark in" on the sync-point for both cams, I get a nice synchronization for the multicam. However, it starts on the sync-point too, but I want the whole range (including where there is only CAM1-footage).
    - I tried to solve this by doing another multiclip, but this time synchronized as a "mark out" on the same point. Doesn't sync correctly at all...
    - I tried to set a new "mark in" point at the very beginning of the clip, by using the difference of the synch point. So the sync-pont on CAM1 was 50min, and on CAM2 on 30min, and I set the "mark in" on CAM2 on 0min, and 20min on CAM1. Still doesn't synchronize correctly...:confused: