Final Cut Keyboard

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cagle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

Looking for a Final Cut keyboard and saw a few different ones on sale. Has anyone had any experience with any of the versions available?

Do apple make their own one?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless it is for a very casual user those keyboards are a waste of money, IMO. If you use FCP regularly you'll quickly memorize the basic short cuts and you'll probably customize the keyboard as well.

Lethal

3. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Apple does not make one, but here is the onw I have used for some time at work. http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/mac-keyboards-801c1.html?gclid=CNjo6aKpu5sCFRkWswod8H2kAg

I love it. I wouldn't waste my money on the jog wheel bundle thought as the wheel stinks. The keyboard is awesome though. If you want a jog wheel for it check the Euphonix MC Transport.

Neon

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

When I did FCP training, the trainer said "dedicated FCP keyboards with coloured keys are great ... to show the client. But that's about all."

Like LW said, you'll memorise the keyboard shortcuts without the colours. Better to print out the shortcuts and stick that up on your wall.

Having said that, they do look good ... and they're not that expensive... Uh-oh, looks like my alter ego, Compulsive Gadget Buyer, is waking up :rolleyes:

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I have the full size Shuttle Pro 2 and while I have found it useful for capturing from my DVCAM deck (you can zip around the tape and mark I and O points and control the Log and Capture window) it hasn't really found much use outside that. It's good for performing repetitive tasks that require a small number of actions, which describes Log and Capture perfectly. However for general use, the keyboard is handier. If I need to play, I hit the spacebar or K. Go faster with more Ks. Frame advance with arrows and so forth. The keyboard is always at my fingertips whereas I have to make a reach for the Shuttle Pro.

In addition, you can map any key to any function. While that is flexible, you need to memorise yet another key position in addition to everything else FCP is making you learn.

Nifty idea, just not an essential part of how I do things. Looks cool though :p

6. Seo macrumors regular

7. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead and ordered a plain old apple keyboard, I just wanted to look like a poser, how shallow can you get?! thanks for saving me some dosh ;)

8. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I like the silicone key covers not just for the shortcuts, for the reasons already shown, but for the fact that they also prevent grime build up on your keyboard. Both handy things to have. It's amazing how much grime and crud from clean hands can accumulate on there.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

IMHO, you should just use a silicone overlay (like the ones KB Covers make) until you're comfortable with the shortcuts, which you'll probably more or less master within a couple of months. You can usually get those for $20-30, as opposed to $100+ for a dedicated FCP keyboard.

There are a lot of companies out there that sell modified Apple keyboards with the colored keycaps, but they're sold at a pretty significant premium and to a lot of users become a nuisance once they've mastered the keyboard layout. Plus, it's pretty safe to assume that you'll be working in other applications (each with their own set of shortcuts), which only makes things more confusing.