Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pookitoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
hello

Today I’ve done some final cut pro editing today :
-MacBook 2016 m5
- 20 min video took with an iPhone 7 in 1080p
- some little effect

Very very bad performances ! I’m a little bit a beginner so I was on the net to glad some info and i’ve Put my media in proxy and stop the background rendering, a little bit better but really a bad experience for me, so laggy !

And for now I render my clip before export it, and since 2 hours only 60 % of the rendering.....

I know it’s a light machine but when i read some testimony I was thinking I can do something like that on the MacBook ....

Some advices or this machine is not for me at all ....?

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
hello

Today I’ve done some final cut pro editing today :
-MacBook 2016 m5
- 20 min video took with an iPhone 7 in 1080p
- some little effect

Very very bad performances ! I’m a little bit a beginner so I was on the net to glad some info and i’ve Put my media in proxy and stop the background rendering, a little bit better but really a bad experience for me, so laggy !

And for now I render my clip before export it, and since 2 hours only 60 % of the rendering.....

I know it’s a light machine but when i read some testimony I was thinking I can do something like that on the MacBook ....

Some advices or this machine is not for me at all ....?
I'm not sure what your issue is but you have an issue. I've edited plenty of videos for YouTube with FCPX on my retina MacBook 2015 base model and have had no issues. It takes longer to export, but not that long. I can export a 20-minute clip in usually about 10-15 minutes. 1080p, 60 fps. Hardly any slowdowns. Never had an issue, and am always surprised when this little beast handles it without much effort.

Edit: I'll add, heat isn't your friend. If I export, for example, with the laptop sitting on a bed, the heat buildup underneath will slow it down. It also slows down if I'm doing other things while it's rendering. I just leave it sit for 10-15 minutes and it renders and exports fine.

Reactions: Kierikka

armut

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2014
Long time ago but have a question due to your media.
Did you use optimzed media or just imported your media-files?

I think making optimzed media is a significant performance improvement!

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I use FCPX maybe 10 times a day for editing all on the 2017 MacBook and before that 2015 & 16 M5 models. I'm guessing something is not quite right as even the 2015 M5 model that I had did a decent job.
Something is seriously wrong here. Did you buy the FCPX? Is it the latest spec/updates etc. What settings are you using when importing?
[doublepost=1531770322][/doublepost]Also, were you using the MacBook for other things whilst rendering or exporting? With the MacBook, I only do one thing on it at a time!

Reactions: Kierikka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.