Final Cut on 2 Computers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jovenjose, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jovenjose macrumors newbie

Hello, I work at a youth club and we do a lot of films with the kids. We do all the editing on a desktop imac using Final Cut. Recently we thought of getting a new desktop mac for editing. I believe the Final Cut license is only for one Desktop Computer, so I wanted to know what I have to do to be able to legally run the program on the two computers.

If anyone could give a tip I would appreciate it!

Cheers!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think you would have to buy another copy in order to run it on both computers legally. Unless you are just upgrading the computer you are currently using in which case you can transfer the license to your new computer.

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

From http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/finalcutstudio2.pdf

A. Apple Software (Bundle)
    Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one
    Apple-branded desktop computer and one Apple-branded laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. You may not make the
    Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Apple is pretty clear on this one, you need a second license.

4. jovenjose thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both very much for your reply. I figured that I could only use my copy on one desktop computer and one laptop. This means that I have to purchase ANOTHER copy of final cut for the full amount? Is there not a way to purchase a second license?

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

They do volume licensing, which is a little bit cheaper, but it starts at 5 seats.

6. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Actually, you can legally install it on both computers, you just can't have it running on both computers at the same time, you need to only use one computer at a time.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The terms laid out in the licence are quite clear: one desktop and one laptop. I don't know if Apple can/does enforce that but if they do, the OP will have a new Mac he's just bought but unable to use for what he bought it for.

8. C. Alan macrumors 6502

You know, Final Cut Express has most of the functionallity of Final Cut Pro, but is a lot less expensive. Getting Final Cut Express might be an option.

9. Matty-p macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Orange San Francisco Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Well there is a cheap easy solution to this in stead of spending loads on an new imac and then loads on fcp thousands alltogether for dE far cheaper just get the basic macbook with 4gb ram and an keyboard mouse external display then you will have a. Relatively fast dual monitor. System that will cost far less and also you won't hve to buy a second licence because you ate allowed to install it on a laptop too. Other advantages are that you would be able to use it when out of the base for either video editing or. General computing stuff like emails, PowerPoint word ect

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

After I wrote my post, I thought to myself "2 copies of FCE would see them right..."

11. Steve-F macrumors member

You can run the same Final Cut software on 2 machines so long as they aren't on the same network .... if you do it comes up with a message saying another user is using the software (so just simply unplug one from the network).
    The question if it's legal or not I would leave to the lawyers. I would suggest that they are unlikely to chase a youth club for infringing usage.
    You could also explore any education discount you might qualify for.

Steve

12. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Something that may be worth a moment's thought before you decide what to do is that Apple's said that with iLife '11 you'll be able to install the apps on as many Macs as you own. Perhaps the one-desktop-one-laptop rule will change with the next release of FCS. (Sorry to reopen the FCS4 can of worms!)