Final Cut on Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheEpicFilmCo, Jan 9, 2009.

1. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Hello.
    My friend is interested in buying his first Mac soon. He will be using Final Cut Express 4 as well as Adobe Flash.

The problem is his budget though. He currently has £450. Will a Mac Mini reach his requirements? Or should he be looking at last gens MacBook or even a refurbished iMac?

My friend would be very happy if you could give him some suggestions.

Thank you. :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buying the current Mac Mini for real work is disturbingly stupid. Tell him to wait for a Mac Mini update and then buy it.

3. l2pdrums macrumors newbie

The mac mini will work just fine with Final Cut Express 4. He might have to up the ram to get better performance. It will work fine for minor work.

I am using a 1.8 mac mini with 4GB of memory and a 320 Hard drive that I install myself. Im running Final Cut Pro 6 and it runs ok, but I don't do intense stuff.

But Im looking to buy a Macbook Pro to run FC Studio.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're not able to use all of those four gigs, though.

5. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

He needs it quite urgently so he can't wait for a Mac Mini update. Am I right in thinking that a MacBook is better suited then?

6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Yes

A new MB would be better as it has better integrated graphics, if he can tell him to check the Refurb site first if he wants to save some money. As the other poster said as well, up the ram by yourself later, if you find it too slow.

7. l2pdrums macrumors newbie

Probably,

If I were him...I would go with the macbook instead of the mac mini.

8. l2pdrums macrumors newbie

True, only 3 gigs are actually being used.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

And which has nothing to do with FCE.

I can't imagine doing much video work without a FW port. I suppose there's still the white MB...

10. l2pdrums macrumors newbie

I can't imagine doing much video work without a FW port. I suppose there's still the white MB...[/QUOTE]

Darn, forgot that part.

11. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, how would say a 2.1GHz MacBook compare with a 2.4GHz iMac then?(The new MacBook is too expensive.)

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The iMac would perform substantially better. Video on Macs is done by the cpu, not the gpu, thus processor speed is usually the key factor.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Hopefully we'll see a new Mac Mini soon - if I were him I'd wait for that to be released.

As for using a MacBook - depends if he's after portability or not. The WhiteBook would be great for Final Cut - but the screen resolution isn't the best.

14. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Well no. He doesn't need portability, so he would just use the MacBook as a desktop. He can't wait for a Mac Mini update though, so I guess he will go with a bottom line iMac.

How would a BlackBook compare with the bottom of the line iMac though, because on eBay it's pretty cheap at the moment.

15. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

And I didn't say it had anything to do with it! :p

However, maybe you should do some reading before you posted something that is wrong. Straight from the system requirements of FCE:
    Some FxPlug filters are not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors.

So the mac mini w/ the intel IG will not be able to run all FxPlug filters :rolleyes:

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It runs them, just not very fast. I've been using FCE4 on a Mini for a year now and have not had a single problem.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Use it on my Mini - no problems. It is the only program running though since I have only 512 Megs...

Waiting for that Mini update though... :mad:

(runs and hides....)

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'd look for a used or refurbished recent mini to tide myself over until the mini is revised. They should be available for a good price, and then when the new one comes out, it can be sold to recoup most of the cost, and buy the new one. :)