Final Cut on Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magicjames92, Jan 15, 2008.

1. magicjames92 macrumors regular

The main reason I originally bought a mac was for Final Cut. I really really want the air. Will the lower config be able to run FCE well?

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Don't count on it it's processor is weaker than the macbooks not to mention the GPU or how hot it would get! I really hope you don't want kids.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

no firewire ! mmm i'd stay away unless i had usb camcorder.

1.6 intel and 2gb should run well but the HDD 4200rpm will make it run like an older ibook

so it will run it but not well i'd say

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nope.

No firewire = no go.

You need firewire to capture your footage, and you'd need a firewire hard drive because that internal is slow as ****.

5. crazydrumma macrumors regular

My 1.83 Ghz Macbook Pro with 1 GB or RAM ran FCE just fine. As long as you go 1.8 ghz, anyway, I think it would be alright. I just don't understand why you would spend SO much money on the new fad, a macbook, or macbook pro even, would be so much more bang for your buck. If you would want to do video editing, why choose a computer meant for portability?

6. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

hm. the thing is video editing is only a small portion of what I do, the rest is surfin the web. How bad is the hard drive in the air?

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It's not bad just not good. Put it this way it really is for simple tasks anything too demanding the thing just can't take for internet it will be great cept for flash but other than that it will be good Especially office work and simple photo editing.

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

that's alot of money just to surf the interwebs

if i'm spending hard cash like that i'd expect it to do almost everything i'd chuck at it

IMO the 1.8" HDD is a bad choice they should have made it a little bigger at the back to put a faster HDD and more storage in and firewire

9. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

agh i want it soooo much but its starting to sound bad. when does a regular but cooler looking with multi touch macbook come out?

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's not going to work. Just get a Macbook.

11. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo 1gb ram macbook

12. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Keep that, then. A MacBook Air will perform worse on Final Cut than what you currently have. I know they look cool, but a MBA would be pretty much pointless for you.

13. Matiek macrumors member

I'm sure you would be able to run FC it just wouldn't be as fast as a MBP. I'm not sure you would notice a huge difference between it an your MB. You would probably want to consider buying an external hard drive. If you have your FW camera hooked to an external and the same external hooked up to the MBA with usb you should be able to access it. You might just get some dropped frames from time to time.

Most people on mac rumors only care about performance, you only wanted to know if you could run it. I'm sure you can it's just not going to be the most performance oriented option.

14. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i wonder how many people are going to buy one just because it looks cool :cool:

suckers -:D

(liketom looks down at his macbook/iphone/ipod touch/wireless slim keyboard - then over to the apple tv and mac pro and them lovely 20" displays , and thinks twice about that statement)
    :rolleyes:

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It'll run, just not as well as the other notebooks. It has a much slower drive, less processing power, integrated graphics, and FCP is painful on ANY 13.3" screen. I'd avoid the Air if you're doing FCP.