Final Cut or Adobe Premiere?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HappyDude20, Nov 3, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've been using my Flip Mino HD quite a bit for the past 11 months considering i've uploaded more than 100 HD 10min.+ clips on my YouTube account...(most are private concerning they're mainly family vids)

Anyways, I've been using iMovie this whole time but figure it may be time to migrate to something w/ more features, just not sure which one.

For what it's worth I have a late 2009 MBP 13inch. 2.26mhz and 2GB of Ram. I've always wanted more but am waiting for the price of 4GB's to go down at my work; when it does i'll most likely be able to get it for like $45.

Anyways. I've been impressed by what Premiere can do but am also aware that there is a learning curve with these programs...

2. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Final Cut Express is another option. Much cheaper than either Final Cut Studio or Premiere CS5. Will give you more flexibility than iMovie, without breaking the bank.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Unless you need support for professional video codecs (and it appears that you presently do not), I'd take a look at Final Cut Express. The user interface is virtually identical to Final Cut Pro and thus it gives you a good idea of how a traditional non-linear editing system works. There's a learning curve, but along with that, you get much more powerful editing software in process.

FCE is $200, which is a lot easier to part with than $1000 for the Final Cut Studio package, which contains additional features and software that isn't necessarily that important for the casual home movie crowd.