final cut pro 10.1 video card question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rdsii64, Dec 23, 2013.

1. rdsii64 macrumors regular

If you have the older mac pro with a pair of video cards, will the 10.1 update still make use of both cards, or is that only with the newer video cards for the new mac pro?
    If if helps, I'm running Mavericks on a 3.1 8 core with 32 gigs of ram and an HD 5770.

2. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Hi, i asked the same question here, unfortunately nobody here seems to know. Maybe i ask again in the MacPro hardware subsection...

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

4. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

FCPX 10.1 is like two days old now. Not a lot of people have had time to figure this out. But because it use openCL you might try searching on openCL related forums. The answers you get will apply to any openCL based app.

That said Apple does have an official list:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

technical info on openCL starts from this page:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/OpenCL_MacProgGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

6. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

there's a update.. I haven't gotten yet.. It's not popping up on the app store for me...

7. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Are you on Mavericks 10.9.1? I think that's the minimum requirement.

8. surfmadison macrumors member

Which is best card for OpenCL

Anyone have suggestions for exactly which Video Card I should get for my six core MPro?

9. Donar, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Maybe have a look at the "Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition". Please be aware that you can not put two of them in a MacPro without tinkering.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

GTX 680 :D Not that I am against AMD but I am well pro Nvidia and the 680 is just an amazing piece of hardware and while nothing is perfect Nvidia has less blips on the radar about issues, at the moment its got CUDA in its favor, etc.

11. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

oh it popped up on my laptop.. My mac pro which I use more for video editing is only on lion. I couldn't update that one.. Its def a bit of a learning curve with 10.1.

12. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

FCX 10.1 takes advantage of cuda acceleration?

13. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

It does not, and likely never will. It's OpenCL all the way; given that you want to avoid nVidia GPUs for the time being. Their OpenCL performance falls behind that of the AMD GPUs. Sometimes waaaaay behind.

14. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Well that sucks.. Why the hell did they put Nvidia GPU's in their iMac line then...?

15. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

That is a fantastic question, and one I can't really answer. It's likely they saw the OpenCL performance of those specific nVidia GPUs as "good enough" for the iMac line. But that's only a guess.

16. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Okay, so the OpenCL performance in the current Nvidia 7000 mobile series GPU's is better than the comparable AMD mobile GPU's?

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Possibly though 'good enough' usually implies that it's not the best, but it will do the job. Maybe it came down to cost, power consumption, heat generation and/or even chip yields that made Apple go with Nvidia. None of us really know.

An odd thing is that Apple's pro apps (at least the video ones) have always seemed to due better with AMD cards instead of Nvidia. With I used to use Apple Color, for example, overall performance was better with AMD cards some rendering options were only available if you were using an AMD card.

18. jasonsansone macrumors newbie

I have two 7950 Mac Edition GPUs in an 08 MacPro. FCP X 10.1 resulted in vastly improved render times from better GPU optimization.

19. rdsii64 thread starter macrumors regular

How did you get two 7950's to work.

20. Chung123, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

Loving this thread and the link to that fcp.co site. If I can locate an affordable ATI 5770 card, I definitely try it on my 2006 Mac Pro. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.

Not too sure about the flashed ones on eBay though.

Besides fitting issues, should I be concerned about stressing the power supply too much?

21. jasonsansone macrumors newbie

Separate PSU

Does anyone else here have a 7xxx series card on an 08 MacPro? I am having major diminishment in their output in OS X vs what they are capable of. Here is a thread at Netkas on the topic. - http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8206.0.html