Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
So, I am going out on a limb here but I think Apple will release Final Cut Pro 11 at or around the time of the NAB Conference.

Why do I think this? Well for one, the version that Apple used to show off the Mac Studio was using an unreleased version of Final Cut, version 10.6.2 and it still has yet to be released. NAB is just 12 days away. I personally think they did not want to reveal that version 11 is coming out, so they just baked the hardware acceleration into a new dot release.

So why Final Cut Pro 11 and not just 10.6.2? I'm sure there will be a large number of new features and enhancements, and Apple has started to move away from the whole X branding of things.

On a side note, I also would not be surprised if Apple changed the name of iMovie to simply Final Cut, thus having two versions, one for the professionals and one for the consumers.

What are some features you would like to see in a Final Cut Pro 11? For me personally, more enhancements for the M1 series of chips as well as finally being able to edit BRAW natively.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Good thoughts. Maybe the 11.0 version will come after they reveal the new Mac Pro with a complete redesign, and we will only get the 10.6.2 now.
Except for (more) speed enhancements, I would like to see more AI tools, better colour correction tools and maybe batch sound sync.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I don't know about renaming iMovie as Final Cut. But what I COULD see happening is Apple making a scaled-down FCP for the iPadOS, maybe reviving the Final Cut Express name for it.
Increasing the Final Cut Pro number to 11.0 wouldn't surprise me, now that the Mac OS has moved up from the 10.X numbering system to Mac OS 11 Big Sur, 12 Monterey, etc. And at the same time, Apple removed the "X" from "Final Cut Pro X" for the same reason and also because this rewritten version of FCP had been out for nearly a year (and also being a lot more feature-packed and pro-oriented than the infamous early versions.)
As for any new features, I could see them adding 3D VR support, since many rival video editing applications, even consumer/prosumer-ones made for Windows, offer that feature. I know they were able to really catch up over the last few years adding features like 360° video support and built-in motion tracking. But maybe they'll finally add built-in "Electricity" and "Fairy Dust" effects, since many of the older iMovie HD effects are now part of FCP (like Aged Film (now called Projector), Earthquake, Flashing, Gaussian Blur, Ghost Trails (now simply called Trails), Mirror, N-Square (now called Tile), Rain, Sharpen and Soft Focus (now called Glow) ), and maybe also add built-in Fog and Lens Flare effects as well (while they are part of Motion, keep in mind motion tracking was also part of Motion before FCP 10.6 included it).

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Good thoughts. Maybe the 11.0 version will come after they reveal the new Mac Pro with a complete redesign, and we will only get the 10.6.2 now.
Except for (more) speed enhancements, I would like to see more AI tools, better colour correction tools and maybe batch sound sync.
That's true regarding version 11 coming out after the new Mac Pro. Maybe they will release 10.6.2 and show off a preview of 11 with a release time frame of this summer.

I agree, better color correction would be nice!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That's true regarding version 11 coming out after the new Mac Pro. Maybe they will release 10.6.2 and show off a preview of 11 with a release time frame of this summer.

I agree, better color correction would be nice!
Well, 10.6.2 is out now.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Auto captioning like Premiere Pro seems like a no brainer, given the tech is baked into the OS. Would save people loads of time.

Reactions: dandeco

NLLV

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
So, I am going out on a limb here but I think Apple will release Final Cut Pro 11 at or around the time of the NAB Conference.

Why do I think this? Well for one, the version that Apple used to show off the Mac Studio was using an unreleased version of Final Cut, version 10.6.2 and it still has yet to be released. NAB is just 12 days away. I personally think they did not want to reveal that version 11 is coming out, so they just baked the hardware acceleration into a new dot release.

So why Final Cut Pro 11 and not just 10.6.2? I'm sure there will be a large number of new features and enhancements, and Apple has started to move away from the whole X branding of things.

On a side note, I also would not be surprised if Apple changed the name of iMovie to simply Final Cut, thus having two versions, one for the professionals and one for the consumers.

What are some features you would like to see in a Final Cut Pro 11? For me personally, more enhancements for the M1 series of chips as well as finally being able to edit BRAW natively.
So obviously nothing happened. I would not expect it to either. Apple does not generally announce things at events that they do not organize and have exclusivity on.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
And spending money on a product that only contributed 0.00000000001% to the $100 billion last quarter probably doesn't make sense to Tim.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
As far as Final Cut on the iPad goes, the convenience of it would be the only thing that could make me switch from Adobe Premiere. If I can only use a computer, then I would just stay with Premiere..

Last edited:

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I quit thinking about Final Cut when it did not show up on my M1 iPad Pro.

DOUBLE-🤦🏼‍♂

If you don't get how far superior FCP is to Premiere, your loss, no one else's. 🤷🏼‍♂️

As far as Final Cut on the iPad goes, the convenience of it would be the only thing that could make me switch from Adobe Premiere.

😂😂😂

Oh really? For what exactly, hm? Do tell! Tell us what is it that you so direly need to do on your iPad that you can't in fact already do with what's available as well as even make any practical sense whatsoever in the context of the iPad form factor? Some actual "Pro" work? Editing some feature film? 🤣

Let me guess: you don't edit for a living, do you? (Spoiler: of course not.)

Anyone that seriously thinks that FCP is coming to the iPad… 🙄

Fortunately, Apple is not that stupid.

Never mind that iMovie for iPad IS Final Cut for iPad! Literally 100% and as much as you're going to get. As well as the Mac version effectively being what "Final Cut Express" was. i.e. 100% FCP under the hood as well!

So no, there will not be more than that coming from Apple. Simple, very basic logic. Sorry!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
ackchyually...

alright-jennifer-lawrence.gif

chazzee

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017

I think Apple is actually setting the scene…

Stage Manager on macOS and iOS? Check. It’s entirely possible that pro level iPads will eventually run mac apps via stage manager when connected to an external display.

Heavy memory usage? Check. iOS 16 introduced the ability to use swap memory for memory intensive apps.

I think this groundwork will allow macOS apps like FCP to be installed and used on an iPad Pro in certain situations.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA

Never mind that iMovie for iPad IS Final Cut for iPad! Literally 100% and as much as you're going to get. As well as the Mac version effectively being what "Final Cut Express" was. i.e. 100% FCP under the hood as well!

So no, there will not be more than that coming from Apple. Simple, very basic logic. Sorry!
Well, to be fair, iMovie for iOS is noticeably more limited than the Mac OS version. You can't even color-correct your footage, to my knowledge. (Unless it's been buried somewhere.) Of course, there's also slightly more full-featured iPas-compatible editing apps as well, like Cyberlink PowerDirector for iOS and LumaFusion. They can do noticeably more than iMovie for iOS does. (Should I be editing more videos on my iPad, I'd probably be using PowerDirector for that.)

Also, I noticed with one of the recent Final Cut Pro revisions for the Mac, they added an "Isolate Vocals" feature in the audio pane. I've found it handy so far on my most recent YouTube Poop project, where it silences much of the background music (i.e. when I'm doing a scene where I add different music or sound effects or ambience).

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
And none of the above are going to show up at the NEXT NAB either… dream on. :rolleyes:

And pretty revealing that no one even attempted to answer the "FOR WHAT?" question.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
New year --- FCP goes subcription with FCP+ and FCP Ultra. You heard it hear first.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Apple's promoting Resolve in the launch of the M2 iPads. As an Aperture user, I remember what this pattern feels like. If I were a FCP user, I'd be getting ready for FCP to join Aperture (and potentially a Blackmagic buyout attempt / equity investment by Apple).

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Apple's promoting Resolve in the launch of the M2 iPads. As an Aperture user, I remember what this pattern feels like. If I were a FCP user, I'd be getting ready for FCP to join Aperture (and potentially a Blackmagic buyout attempt / equity investment by Apple).
They’ve been telegraphing this for a few years now. The eGPUs, Blackmagic having a bigger Apple/Mac presence in their booths at trade shows and demos, Resolve showing up more in more in Apple’s marketing… It is also pretty clear that Apple is giving a lot of preferential treatment to BMD on the software side of things. Resolve is as optimized for Metal and Apple Silicon as Final Cut these days.

I don’t think Final Cut is going anywhere anytime soon though. It for sure has a gentler learning curve than Resolve for the more casual video creator. And Motion is probably the best kept secret in Motion Graphics. I’d be very sad to see it go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.