Final Cut Pro 4

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reported earlier today that Apple is planning on releasing Final Cut Pro 4 this month:

Sources tell Think Secret that Apple originally planned to ship Final Cut Pro 4, code-named Repoman, on June 16. The company now intends to move up the release to one week from now, Monday, June 9.
ThinkSecret warns that final release dates may always change.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's very cool news. I'm really interested in seeing how their audio tools have been updated. That for me is going to be my most wanted upgrade.

D

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i'll be upgrading, but i might wait until july or so. i might even wait unti the first update is posted, just to be safe.

it's always nice to see something coming out sooner than later, though.:)

MovieGuy

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2003
And I just got FCP 3 a few months ago. At least I still get a student discount! Hope there are enough features for me to upgrade. I will ahve to preview first. For any of you early adopters, let me know!

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by MovieGuy
And I just got FCP 3 a few months ago. At least I still get a student discount! Hope there are enough features for me to upgrade. I will ahve to preview first. For any of you early adopters, let me know!
Unless things have changed recently, there is no student discount on the upgrade package this version. (It figures, I've paid for 1 and to upgrade to 2 and 3 at retail, now I happen to be a student and there's no discount! :mad: )

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Unless things have changed recently, there is no student discount on the upgrade package this version. (It figures, I've paid for 1 and to upgrade to 2 and 3 at retail, now I happen to be a student and there's no discount! :mad: )
Don't complain too much, have you seen how much has been added? It's an insane amount. I'm excited for this as I'm sure a lot of you are.

P-Worm

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
reason there is no longer a student version of FCP, is that they think FCE will have everything a non pro would need... true for the most part.

They want students to become addicted to FCE so when they go pro they have to put in 600 more.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
That's very cool news. I'm really interested in seeing how their audio tools have been updated. That for me is going to be my most wanted upgrade.

D
this should be a cool update. i've heard about some integrations with Logic that are supposed to be included that i'm excited about. i heard we may even get support for Audio Unit plugins within FCP which would be awesome!

Plissken

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Tennessee
talked with an apple software guy a couple of weeks ago and he told me that FCP4 was gonna be huge! i can't remember which, but its either 8 or 9 dvd's. i've never used the program but i assume alot of that is clips, add-ons and other assorted extras but that is still alot of stuff.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by noverflow
reason there is no longer a student version of FCP, is that they think FCE will have everything a non pro would need... true for the most part.

They want students to become addicted to FCE so when they go pro they have to put in 600 more.
There is a huge, 50%, student discount on the full version ($499); just not on the upgrade ($399).

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I'm not really that upset. I'll wait, however, to see how many of the new features my dual 500 can take advantage of from reader reports on 2-pop.com first. (FCP 3 is still miles ahead of the competition as far as I've seen, Avid Express is the only thing I'd even think about)

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by MovieGuy
I'm just wondering if more than 2 people on this thread have even been to Apple's website. The exciting thing about the Think secret announcement was the move up date.

Everything else about FCP 4 has been available at apple.com/finalcutpro for about 8 weeks. Pages and pages of examples, demo clips, and all the info on the new features. It's going to be huge becuause of the audio libraries and the motion effects clips and backgrounds that are bundled with it. Kinda like iDVD.

Feature for feauture, I've never seen a bigger jump in software from one version to another. Definitely worth the cash.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by jholzner
If you bought FCP3 on or after April 6th you are eligible fore the up-to date program. It's only $50.00 for the upgrade.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/uptodate.html
Okay, so this question is just screaming to be asked. What stops someone who bought FCP 3 before April 6th from buying it again from CompUSA, copying the receipt, and then returning if (unopened) for a refund and mailing the copy in for the $50 upgrade to Apple?

Unethical? Yes.

As a developer and as a huge fan of the work Apple has done on the FCP series I wouldn't do it, but it seems to me that they've left themselves wide open since no other proof of purchase seems to be required.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by Captain Canuck
Just opened my mail and and found the new MacMall flyer -- page 54 Final Cut Pro 4 (NEW Version) only $994!

Order yours today! javascript:smilie(':D')
Are you trying to say, by the smilie, that there is a problem with that ad ?

Captain Canuck

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Are you trying to say, by the smilie, that there is a problem with that ad ?
Nope. Not at all. Just saying that it's available to order "right now!" and if you act now you get a ShuttlePro Controller FREE!

The smile was really inplying that it's not cheap $$.

MovieGuy

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2003
I did see that there is that discount if you order the new version. At least I got 3 for a lesser price so now I only have to pay the upgrade to 4, which is what seems like I am going to do since there seems to be so much cool new stuff. I am really excited about the new DVD Pro though. It seems like they really have improved and integrated the products to make a truly impressive set of applications for film makers.

filmcutter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Portland, OR
On sale June 14th

According to MacForce in Portland, FCP4 will go on sale at 4pm (PDT) on June 14th. Don't know if this is the same everywhere or if they're coordinating with the demos they are having...

filmcutter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Portland, OR
and in a related story...

Avid is now shipping Media Composer Adrenaline for only $25K (cpu, monitor, and storage not included). Avid Xpress Pro shipping TBA.

KronicX

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2003
I own the Academic version of FCP3. Can I just upgrade to FCP4 (regular) for $399? I've looked all over the site, and all the requirements for upgrading say is this:
Apple
Customers who own an earlier version of Final Cut Pro (versions 1, 2, or 3) can save by upgrading to Final Cut Pro 4 and receive the latest features in Apple's newest pro digital video editing software.
It says an earlier version, but not what kind. So I should be able to upgrade, right?

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by KronicX
I own the Academic version of FCP3. Can I just upgrade to FCP4 (regular) for $399?
I've looked all over the site, and all the requirements for upgrading say is this: It says an earlier version, but not what kind. So I should be able to upgrade, right?
If you buy the Academic version you have to upgrade with the Academic version upgrade. This is because the necessary serial numbers are set up according to the lisence type, i.e. the academic serial number is invalid with the commercial upgrade.

For the guy touting the praises of MacMall and being able to buy FCP4 now, that's not a big deal. You've been able to order it from the Apple Online Store since the day it was announced, you just wouldn't get it until it shipped. The only thing that is good about MacMall is the free ShuttlePro controller. And this is only a good deal if you don't have one allready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.