Final cut Pro 6 Newbe Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JeffHong21, Apr 23, 2009.

1. JeffHong21 macrumors member

I just got FCP6 and when I try to watch the movie in the canvass, it says unrendered. How do i remedy that. also, whats a good site for FCP help besides youtube. thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Manual, Lynda.com, ...

Your sequence settings are not the same as your clip settings, for example, you have a clip (PAL) with 720x576, 25 frames with 50 fields interlaced and compressed with a .h264 (not made for editing), and your sequence settings are (NTSC) 640x480, 29.97 frames with 59.94 interlaced fields and using the DV codec, you have to render anything, that does not match.

Search this forum for similar topics via MRoogle http://mroogle.*************/ .

Also on page 648 of the manual might be some info you could use.

3. JeffHong21 thread starter macrumors member

its the schools, so manuals out. If i shoot just basic footage with a camcorder and use mpg clips or avi clips, what settings hould i use?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The manual is a PDF accessible via the Finder or directly from the Help menu in FCP. If FCP is installed the manual is installed. There are also a plethora of free, on line guides and tutorials you can use as well.

You don't want to use AVIs or MPGs w/FCP.

Lethal

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sorry to chime in, but are you saying that rendering isnt necessary if the settings on the media file match the settings of the program/current project you are editing??

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if it is a standard editing codec, yes.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i take it dv is a standard codec (if its even a codec). what about an mp4 movie taken off of an iSight (using jpg image compression). i was using a combination of those two and every time i had to render. (could it be fps differences?)

im pretty sure even with just one stream it needs to render.

8. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

For FCP questions two good sites to check out are Creative Cow and 2Pop. Before posting you check out the archive because most capture setting type questions have already been posted. If not, post and you should get quick answers.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For more info on DV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV (yes, I know it's Wiki, but it can be a good starting point)

And the iSight captures with 640x480, 16.02fps and uses the .h264 codec.
    So no match for any FCP settings, as FCP is made for more professional video/film clips than that.
    You have to convert all media to one that matches your sequence settings (which in reverse should match you clips the closest you can get).

Use Mpeg Streamclip for converting.

Codecs that can be used for this would be a DV in NTSC format, but NTSC has 29.97 frames the second, almost double what the iSight captures. Also NTSC is interlaced, and iSight will be "progressive", so those two don't match either.

There is some info on video formats following page 22 in the manual.

And btw, FCP is used for editing meeting professional standards, so it will only accept files/formats, that meet those criteria, even when FCP is used for amateur films.
    It's al in the source.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha yes i understand that it is for the more professional editing, this was just a 'test' project (for a friend, video quality wasnt important - it was a drumming video, we had proper audio input).

i was just REALLY confused as to why i had to convert the movies when it was clearly well within the requirements of what the CPU can handle.

i take it rendering will convert the video into the correct project format (seems the logical answer)

excellent tip :)

im in australia, so everything is PAL PAL PAL here (576i, 25fps).

ahh excellent i will read it again :)

i am planning on purchasing a nice HD video camera, not sure on the brand/model but will be somewhere within the $1500AUD ($1070US) range. thinking of getting an in-built HD version, i hope they are acceptable in terms of responsiveness and the like - at least i will finally be able to create HD videos :)

a question: if i do get a HD camera, will my encode times increase massively? because the output format would be the same... my poor MBP struggles to do work, need a MP :p

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is good, I just assumed you'd use NTSC (Never The Same Colour), as a lot of people here are from the US (and I didn't read your location tag).

If the camera uses tape as record medium, you can use one of the HDV settings to capture the video, and FCP will be able to edit that without rendering.

If you use a file based recorder, the re-encoding depends on the encoding of the camera. If the camera uses .h264, the re-encode will be longer than if the camera uses AVCHD.

I would vote for an HDV camera, as you don't need the hassle of re-encoding and you have also a good archiving material, and don't have to triple backup your files.

But be sure to investigate more into HDV or the file format the camera will use, about sensor size, 3CCD (not CMOS), codec if file-based, data rate, ....

This forum had quite a lot of topics on this issue in the last 7 months I've been here.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea thats cool, you cant read where people are from once you start posting - its a common mistake :p

interesting. if i did get a file-based camera, i would probably go with h.264. i use it for all my other formats of movies. will the rendering be the same situation i am in now? (i.e. having to render after EVERY change?) oh. i guess i would just use MPEG Streamclip to convert into the suitable format. duh. that seems a bit stupid though, because rendering like that would loose lots of data, unless you can do a passthrough somehow.

thats very odd, for me anyway. i thought everything was going digital. i would MUCH rather have everything backed up via external HD's DVDs etc then via tape, they are more clunky and eventually get ruined.

im not very knowledgable about the actual specs of a video recorder, nor the terms 3CCD etc. i will have to read up about them! thanks for all your help :)

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.H264 is not a very good codec seen from an editing view, as it doesn't record every frame individually, but approximations and differences between frame 1 and 3 and so on.
    For more technical hara kiri: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

HDV is digital, tape is only a medium, like an HDD or DVD/CD is.

From my experience with tape based formats, it's easier to catalogue and archive them, but that maybe, as I worked with two thousand tapes since last June, and it would have been horror, if that would all have been files, especially backing up.

Of course, I have now a big, big cupboard full of tapes, but when they are organized and given unique numbers, it is easier to find them.

But you won't amass so much tapes or digital files I think, as you do it more for fun or small business I assume.

Just look into what you want from a camera, what you want to do with it in the long term, as 1500 AUSD are an investment, that should hold its value for some time.
    When you specified, what you want with the camera, look for one, that will satisfy you, even if the offerings might confuse and overwhelm one.

And if you wanna go file based, look into all the codecs that are used, how to properly convert them something editable without loss. That's the con of going digital, you have to know your way around those things.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh really? damn. more reading i will have to do. i always thought h.264 was quite an acceptable codec, apparently not!

no not quite that much!! i am just a consumer who does the odd job for friends etc. im still young (19), who knows what the future will hold. your swaying me to want to buy a tape-style camera. ill do some research on the matter.

oh dont worry, ill be searching. thank you so much for all your help :) bed time for me now!! haha

15. skycran macrumors newbie

16. deej999 macrumors regular

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok so just another question..

i have the video in the right formats and can change settings/timing etc without having to re-render every minute (DV-PAL if you must know).

i added the "strobe" effect for some fun, it rendered the short 5second part where i added it. for the rest of the clip i turned the strobe setting down to the lowest (1 i think), now whenever i do anything it has to re-render again! is there a way to get around this?? or am i stuck :-S