Final Cut Pro 7 and Scratch Disks

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mystikal, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I have an external HDD I use with Final Cut Pro and it is used as a scratch disk. When I boot FCP I get this message:

[​IMG]

Do I have to have the HDD with me at all times in order to use FCP? Are there any problems / disadvantages that come with resetting the disks?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You don't have to have the drive w/you at all times. If you don't want to use the drive just hit "reset scratch disks" and select another disk for FCP to use as its scratch. "reset scratch disks" is kind of an ominous sounding thing even though all it really means is FCP can't find the disk it last used as the scratch disk so it is asking for a new location to use as scratch.

Lethal

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you are getting access error messages then you to make sure you have the correct permissions set for the external drive you are using.

4. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

That makes sense. The way I interpreted it was that crucial temp files would be deleted if I hit reset.

5. GravityProMT macrumors newbie

Scratch Disks = Actual Video

Just a quick note. Scratch Disks are where your actual video is stored. By the name it sounds like temporary files - but they are the real video files.

6. Slash100 macrumors newbie

Croping

I am working on a stop-motion animation and I am importing over 2000 photos.
    I really need a shortcut way to crop every photograph.

How do I do this.
    BTW I have an older version of FCP...if it makes a difference.

thank you

7. GravityProMT macrumors newbie

Photoshop First

Slash - Create a macro in Photoshop that will crop all of your layers, then import into FCP.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Scratch disks are where the audio and video render files are stored as well.

Lethal

9. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Sounds like it's just a permissions thing no? CMND i on the drive and change sharing and permissions to allow your account to write to the drive. You might have set it to no access or read only..

10. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I should have mentioned this before but this happens when my drive isn't plugged in. I know if it were plugged in and I saw this, it would be bad. I was just curious as to if I forgot my drive, would FCP still work fine if I hit "reset disks". Seems like it would.

11. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yes, you'd would be back up and running if you selected a different disk with the "Reset Scratch Disk" option. But keep in mind any video or effects on your timeline(s) that previously had to be rendered would need to be re-rendered, as that data (presumably on the previous scratch disk) would be unavailable.

You would also need to be certain that the actual referenced media in the project would be still be available (and not on the scratch disk, which would be typical if you transferred/captured the media within FCP).