Final Cut Pro 7: Can't import some footage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by akm3, Nov 10, 2011.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I filmed an event with two cameras, one an HDV Canon HV-40, one a much older Sony TRV-22 NTSC DV.

The HDV camera imported into Final Cut pro as always, just fine. I can't get the footage off the Sony no matter what I try.

I go to easy setup and change everything to be NTSC FireWire, etc, and go to log/capture and it can control the camera. I hit 'Now' and it works for a few seconds before saying that it detected dropped frames and cancelling, saving nothing.

I tried further forward in the tape, same thing. I tried the same tape in the Canon HV-40 and I get the same error.

I know the clock wasn't set on the Sony is this just a matter that time code didn't get written to the tape or something? Is there any way to salvage this footage, and/or something I'm obviously doing wrong?

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The clock doesn't have anything to do with time code. Your problem might be related to the tape - bad tapes, dirty heads. Does it play back on any of your cams without problem?

IIRC, you can set FCP to not stop canceling capture on timecode break detection in the preferences.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

The tape plays fine in BOTH cameras, it just won't capture it to FCP7.

I'll try to find that preference and see if that fixes it, THANKS

----------

That seems to have worked, the import doesn't keep cancelling - I don't know if it's actually getting a good file or not but thanks again I'm further along.

4. careypo macrumors member

Check your firewire control settings in Final Cut Pro. There's are different option for HDV and regular DV. For some reason, the firewire communication may be different for the Canon, so you will probably need to change the settings.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It does sound like a bad tape. It might also seem like the tape is playing back normally through the cameras, but Final Cut is detecting errors that you probably just don't notice. As you've already done, changing capture settings to avoid the capture from cancelling itself will allow Final Cut to ignore the errors. But just be aware that they still exist in your footage and may cause issues if you try to sync with your other footage.

6. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't know if it's a bad tape or the camera itself that recorded it might be faulty - it literally has been sitting around in the basement for like 3 years...I was surprised the battery still held a charge.

Well it seems to have worked (Thanks again!) I have one giant file in Final Cut, I can carve it up into segments. A hassle to be sure but I'm glad the footage wasn't lost. I'll be on the lookup for sync errors or other problems further down stream.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You can make subclips by setting the "Start-Stop Detection" to on. It won't give you separate clips as with HDV, but you'll have markers in your clip you can jump to.

8. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

It won't work because he didn't capture with timecode.
    And to the OP, make sure you backup that file you captured on a separate drive. In case you lose the original file, you usually recapture and the everything works out on the timeline, but since you captured without time code, you'll have to recut.