Final Cut Pro 7 - Exporting Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Serendipitous, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Serendipitous macrumors newbie

Hey folks.

I'm having some trouble exporting from FCP 7. I want the end result to be an MP4 file, with crystal clarity, which I can't seem to get. I can get a good quality .mov file, and usually I can convert those to MP4 with quicktime flawlessly, but the last 2 projects I've worked on, I have to try a ton of different settings and it's such a time waster converting videos to find good settings.

The first project of the last two I referred to, I eventually found out that having different video dimensions was why I couldn't get a decent quality export. Once I converted all of the videos to the same dimensions and dropped them into FC, the exports were fine. Having learned that lesson, I am now recording all of my screenshots at 2560 x 1440.

One thing I noticed is that the screen recordings (made using Quicktime) all have different frame rates, usually between 19 and 26 FPS. I'm not certain this could be an issue, as I can get a clear export to .mov, but then using Quicktime Pro 7 to convert to MP4, it gets pretty blurry.

However, I still can't get a decent export. Any thoughts or tips on what I can do?

Thanks,

~Serendip

2. floh macrumors 6502

Just shortly, because I'm in a hurry: Video on computers consists of two things: First the container (.mp4, .mov, .avi, ...) and then the codec inside (h.264, divx, mpeg4, ...). There is also audio, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

The codec, encoding and bitrate are what defines how your video looks. The container (.mov or .mp4) is really just the packaging of it all with metadata and additional information. So, to find out what's wrong with your conversion, you will have to give us information on the codec, resolution and bitrate of your .mov and your .mp4 file, and you'll surely get more answers.

To find out all that information is done the easiest way by just locating the files in Finder, marking each and pressing Cmd+I to bring up the Information window. We need the info on size, codec and bitrate of both files, original and converted.

Greetings,

Floh

3. Serendipitous thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Floh.

Here's some more info.

The original files I'm dropping into FCP have these settings.

Original Screenshot:
    Dimensions: 2560 × 1440
    Codecs: H.264, AAC
    Color profile: HD (1-1-1)
    Total bit rate: Fluctuates between 1,439 (lowest) and 2865 (highest)
    FPS: variable (19-26 fps)

Most of the exports from FCP have the first settings, the second (named) video has almost the same, except for the dimensions.

.mov Exports from FCP:

Dimensions: 1280 × 720
    Codecs: H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
    Total bit rate: 2,284
    FPS: 59.94

Name: Test 6 Video
    Codecs: H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
    Total bit rate: 5,939
    FPS: 24

Most of the Quicktime Pro .mov to .mp4 conversion codecs are AAC & H.264, though a few also say Hint, whatever that means.

MP4 Conversion From Quicktime Pro:

Name: Test 6 Video
    Codecs: AAC, H.264
    Total bit rate: 2,437
    FPS: 24

Ok, that's most of it. If I have left anything out or anyone needs more info, please let me know.

~Serendip

4. Serendipitous thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. I could really use some help with this. :)